We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer 2011 Prices?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Summer 2011 Prices?

Does anyone have any direct experience of prices in Greece this summer - specifically how they compare with recent years? I am not so concerned about accommodation as I booked that long ago, but for food, eating out, drinking etc.

We're doing our usual trip to Antiparos end August / beginning September, so anything specific to that island would be a bonus.

I have heard elsewhere that there are bargains to be had for accommodation as occupancy is down, and also that many tourist dependent businesses have absorbed extra taxes by reducing profit margins, but feedback of actual experience would be helpful.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

I think my question got lost. Any ideas?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,091 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

I'll be there same time as you, so maybe we can compare notes. :o)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

bernardharte - I think the reason you haven't had a reply is that people don't know the answer, especially as you've asked specifically about Antiparos, and I think that island doesn't attract so many foreign visitors. And it's still early in the season. I go to Sifnos three times a year: I've been there twice this year and plan to go back at the end of August and to stay till the end of September. Sifnos is an expensive island - I always notice that things in the supermarkets are considerably dearer than they are in Athens, but I'm not sure how much they'd increased since last year. Prices in one taverna did seem a little more expensive this year, but in another they were much the same. I'm afraid I'm not a very helpful consumer - I eat in places run by friends of mine: I'm not getting a special deal on prices, everyone gets extra drinks, etc, but I don't really have a valid general view. One big difference this year was that just before Easter there were NO buses on Sundays, even to the harbour, and very few on Saturdays. But there aren't many visitors in April - there were certainly buses in May-June and the tickets were about the same price as last year. I paid about the same for my room, too. So I think there's no need to worry, but others may have a more comprehensive view.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,317 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

The prices in Greece in May was as in May of earlier years, or lower. We went in the Dodekanese but I expect the same all over Greece. Rooms negotiable at 25- 35 Euro for a double, meals at 25-30 for the two of us. Ferry tickets a bit increased prices. Petrol is almost as expensive as in Norway, from euro 1,70 pr liter, and thus the bus and taxi fares is a bit up.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

Just returned today from a trip to Mykonos and Antiparos. Prices are generally the same as last year. Bus fares and ferry prcies are slightly more.

Specifically in Antiparos, a large Mythos at Cafe Babel and similar places was €2.50. In the square, Remember Bar was €3 for a small beer and Doors was €3.50 for a small beer.

My accommodation in Antiparos was less than last year, but that's to be expected as I went in June instead of at the end of August.

Edited: 24 June 2011, 21:31
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

Thanks all.

I was trying to get a feel - which I now have - not specifically about Antiparos.

Sorry I've been slow to reply myself. For some reason the email notification of new posts was not working.

7. Re: Summer 2011 Prices?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 12:19