We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

Zurich, Switzerland
4 posts
Save Topic
Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

We (4 adults and a 5 year child) plan a two week tour in Greece in the second half of September, starting in Bodrum, Turkey. I thought of the following route:

Bodrum,1 day -> Kos, 1 day -> Rhodos, 2-3 days -> Crete, 4 days -> Santorini, 1 day -> Myconos, 1-2 days -> Athens 2-3 days -> Meteora, 1day -> Thessaloniki or Volos to fly back. All the transfers will be done by ferries, except for the Rhodos-Crete by plane, and the Mainland of course.

What else would you recommend to include in the route? Is there anything I missed on the way? Is the time distribution adequate? I don't know if it has sense to visit something else from Cyclades.

I will be enormously grateful for any recommendations.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

It looks like you'll spend most of your time on ferries, and checking in and out of hotels. If you want to island hop, I'd suggest starting in the island nearest Bodrum and then move along the ferry route.

For example, Kos to Kalymnos to Leros to Lipsi to Patmos to Samos. Pick two or three of those and spend at least three nights on each.

SAMOS
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

Hi, Agree with zakrosian. on the larger islands you would get no further than the port!

The route he has chosen has a good ferry service: nostalgia.gr/timetable-nissoskalymnos.html and all the islands have something different to offer. You could then fly to Athens for a few days at the end.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,116 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

"What else would you recommend to include in the route?"

You have already jammed it far too much - being on travel all the time. I agree 100 % with zakrosian.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

As you enter Greece on the Dodecanese, you may as well want to stay there instead of crossing on Cyclades and then Crete. On my opinion, Kos deserves at least 4 nights, then 2-3 days are barely enough to see Rhodes Town, let alone rest of the island. I'd spend at least 5 nights there. You don't mention your interest, but either been active, either been laid back,either been sightseen, either been beaches, either hiking, either watersports,either dinning, either watever, each island,even the tiniest, deserves at least 3 nights to get a small taste of what it has to offer. I suggest, especially if you plan to flight out of Thessaloniki or Volos, to spend some more time on the mainland too. Mainland has something for everyone. Let us know your interests and you'll get many recommendations both fior mainland and islands to visit.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

PS: Onbly you you know how well adapt on trave your 5 year old, but I don't think a 5 year old is very happy to be constantly on the move. He/She 'll need to take a break from time to time. Furthermore, I hope you have some activities involved on your itenerary for him/het too, not planning accordingly only to your interests and not take into concideration the child. If child is not happy and moaning all the time, adults will not be happy either, believe me!

6. Re: Greece in two weeks starting from Bodrum, Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 23:16