We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A second island to balance Santorini

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Topic
A second island to balance Santorini

My wife and I are visiting the Greek Islands for a week in mid May. We are spending half the time in Santorini and are looking a second destination to relax and experience a different type of Island. We like resort style accommodation and good resturants but defiantly not the club scene of Mykanos...etc

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,438 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

The islands which stand out for me are Naxos or Paros. I will leave it for the DEs for the islands to suggest further. My personal preference would be Naxos Town.

Edited: 29 January 2012, 01:33
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,048 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

Since Naxos and Paros are close by and do not involve a lot of travelling they are a good bet. Moreover, from Paros you could also visit the much smaller Antiparos. Ferry schedules permitting, a visit to lesser known island may be possible, for example, Amorgos.

Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

Another vote for Naxos. With only one week, Santorini and Naxos would be plenty. If you have to split uneven, use most of your time on Naxos.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

There's not much of a club scene on Mykonos in mid May - I wouldn't rule it out on that basis. Also, you may find that smaller islands such as Amorgos are still "closed".

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
833 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

ios is 30 minutes away from santorini by boat , which is so traditional the real greece fantastic restaurants which alot of greeks visit ios for the fine cuisines i.e lord byrons, katogi, augusto, drakos fresh fish , and many more restaurants in the village and at the port , the hotels are great prices compared to the touristy islands like mykonos and santorini and ios has some of the best beaches and coves in greece great for snorkling clear blue seas where you can see sponges growing and fish , ios as something for every age group , majority of people that visit ios normally return year after year hope you enjoy too dont miss out on my dream oioi :>)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

I think Naxos is a perfect companion island for Santorini. Naxos town chora is a maze of tiny back alleys great to explore and make your way into the old market and Kastro. Lots of Dining and shopping opportunities and a few antiquities. It has great mountain villages so rent a car and take a day to explore. There really are not resorts on Naxos, the closest would be Naxos Resort Beach hotel or perhaps Nissaki on St George Beach however there are many hotels at St George where you have great range in price. St George is directly adjacent Chora so you get a beach and a town vacation.

Naxos is alsosubstantiallyy less expensive than Santorini for both lodging and food so it is a great budget stretcher after Santorini

Here is an idea of what Naxos is like

Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

Another vote for Naxos. A really great island with lots to do and lots of great beaches to relax on. I've only been to a handful of islands, but it's my favorite so far.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

You cannot compare Ios with Naxos, the former being sort of colonial for Brits, ex hippies and so on. Naxos has plenty to offer in terms of "typical" Greek experience.

9. Re: A second island to balance Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2013, 10:29
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor