We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Hi

I'm planning a last week of June/first week of July trip.

We're flying into Santorini on June 24 and getting the evening long ferry to folegandros where we're staying for 5 nights/days. We're then getting the slow ferry to Naxos for 3/4 nights then either the overnight bluestar or the other slow ferry the next morning to Koufonissi where we'll stay for 3/4 nights.

We fly out of Mykonos on 8 July and intend to get the superjer from Koufonissi to Mykonos the day before.

Does anyone think this is a little risky?

I would have preferred to go to Naxos before Koufonissi but the superjet from folegandros to Koufonissi (only vessel between the islands it seems) is 5 times more expensive than the slow ferry to Naxos.

Thanks for any pointers .

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

SuperJet is the least reliable of the ferries running from Koufonissi. If I had a flight to catch next day, I would not rely on it. It may well be OK, it may not. You have to decide whether the consequences (missing the flight) are acceptable for you to risk it.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Simple rule of thumb: never rely on the last available ferry to get back for the flight home. ;o)

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

I forgot to add- You have other, more reliable options on July 7- getting the 6:00 Blue Star Paros to Naxos and taking 13:05 Aqua Jewel, or 14:15 Superjet from there. Or going on the same Blue Star to Paros and having a choice of 3 ferries to Mykonos (SeaJet2 at 10:50 18:20 or Aqua Jewel at 14:20). The conventional ferries (Blue Star and Aqua Jewel) will be running even in windy weather provided that July 7 is not the day ferries/port workers/unions decide to strike, of course.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Hey, thanks for your input. I hadn't thought of going via Paros.

I'm going to go and do a bit more research I think! I'll be back....

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

I know that's risky - a) I've been 'stranded' on Amorgos when the 'Express Skopelitis' was cancelled for 3 days due to rough sea. b) I have seen the 'Superjet' running 6 hours late whilst catching another ferry from Folegandros.

Sure there are Blue Star ferries, but they are not every day.

So with those islands you have selected you should leave Naxos (or Paros/Antiparos) as last island before Mykonos. For the simple reason there about 3 daily ferries from those islands to Mykonos.

I have used both Santorini and Mykonos airports. There is no way I would rely on the 'Superjet' from Koufonissi to Mykonos the day before a flight. Whilst you could take the early morning ferry from Koufonisi, Bluestar ferry, and connect on Paros/Naxos. I found that ran somewhat late and you might end up on say Paros missing the early ferries to Mykonos and having to wait all day for a last evening ferry, tight ferry connection rarely work, so you are back to the one last boat before getting to airport island scenario again.

So my rule for getting flights is two reliable ferries prior to the flight, that might be same day it might not depending on the island/airport/flight times.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Thanks hippy.

There are two options Naxos - Mykonos on sat 7th July, one being the car ferry...I know this is the sensible option.

I'll have to take the financial hit (€56!!!!) and the risk of the superjet from folegandros to Koufonissi on Saturday 30th as there don't appear to be any other options.

€56. damn. This does cut out a lot of faff/flight concerns though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Thanks hippy.

There are two options Naxos - Mykonos on sat 7th July, one being the car ferry...I know this is the sensible option.

I'll have to take the financial hit (€56!!!!) and the risk of the superjet from folegandros to Koufonissi on Saturday 30th as there don't appear to be any other options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Thanks hippy.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

To get from Folegandros to Koufonissi, rather than pay Superjet prices, I would take the Aqua Jewel at 09:40 to Naxos and then the Skopelitis. The connection is a bit tight (50 mins) but I think it should work. As a last resort you would have to stay overngiht on Naxos and go to the Koufonissi the day after.

I can remember doing a similar connection a few years ago and I and few others dashed to the Skopelitis and walked on without tickets. The captain had to handwrite tickets for us.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Risky leaving Koufonissi til last?

Thanks Greece mad. Could you post the link to the skopelitis timetable? I can't find it!