We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

Ballarat
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

We will be visiting Donousa and Iraklia for several days in late May and early June. I would be interested in suggestions re where to stay. From previous posts, I am considering - Donousa - Ilovasilema or Aposperitis Studios; on Iraklia - Panorama Iraklias, Agnadema, Maistrali Rooms or Anna's Place.

We like a view and reasonably easy access to a beach. Any other information concerning the Small Cyclades would be appreciated

We have 2 months and also intend visiting Andros, Tinos and Syros, as well as some old favourites - Folegandros, Sikinos and Amorgos. Also considering Anafi

Thanks

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

I am also visiting The Small Cyclades in July. I called the owners and booked a room at Maistrali (Iraklia) and at Asterias (Donousa). The owners were very friendly and the places seemed nice. Maistrali was a bit expensive (I usually manage to get the prices below 50 EUR/night). I haven't been there before though.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 06:33
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

We stayed at Agnadema in Iraklia in June 2010 and would definitely recommend it. It's a bit of a walk uphill out of the village but we had a massive balcony/terrace overlooking Agios Georgios, and the sea for 25 euros a night. It wasn't far to walk to Livadhi Beach. One of my best memories from that holiday is sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine watching the sun go down - bliss. I really liked Iraklia and it's on the list for a re-visit, hopefully we will make it to Donousa next time too.

Trearddur Bay...
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

I stayed at Markouli studios on Donoussa a couple of years ago and was very happy with it. The family were very friendly and met us off the boat at 1am and took us to the studio. The views from the very large balcony were absolutely stunning. Of course to get those views it did involve a bit of a steep uphill climb but it wasn't a long walk as the main village is not very big at all. Therefore its not very far to walk to the main beach by the harbour which despite being the harbour beach was extremely clean and unpolluted. I absolutely loved Donoussa and will definitely go back again some time and I will probably use the same studios. If access to the beach is your main priority then maybe Iliovasilema might be more suited. I've never stayed there so can't say what its like but they are certainly nearer to the main beach and nearer to the road which takes you to the next beach over the hill (can't remember its name but there are many steps down to it but well worth the effort). Wherever you stay I'm sure you will love the island! The locals, as usual for Greece, were incredibly friendly.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

In May/June the islands will be very quiet so I suggest you don't bother booking and just what there is when you get there.

I know Donousa better than Iraklia. I have stayed at Iliovasilema. They are older than Markouli studios, but still quite adequate.Tthey are very near the beach and have a good view of the sunset, which is what Iliovasilema means.

Markouli studios are quite high and the path is very steep. Last year i stayed in some of Maria Markouli's other rooms which were even higher up the hill. They were superb, apart from being so high and when the moon was not out the path was very dark at night.

Ballarat
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

Thank you for your comments - pretty much reinforces what we were thinking. We don't book ahead as we never know when we will arrive - depends on how much we enjoy previous islands, but it's nice to have a few ideas of where others have enjoyed staying

6. Re: Rooms in Donousa and Iraklia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:18