We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries during peak season

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferries during peak season

Hello - I will be traveling to three islands during August: Santorini, Ios, and Mykonos. As this is the busiest season, I'm wondering what the best way is to book ferry tickets between these islands and to/from Athens. I have seen some online reservation forms, but they all require a pretty steep charge to mail the tickets to the US. Is it best to have the ferry tickets already before the trip? Should we get them from an agency once arriving in Athens? Is there a better way to do this? I just want to make sure we'll be able to get onto certain ferries because our accommodation will already be booked ahead of time (again because of the busy season). Thanks!!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries during peak season

You will have no problem in obtaining tickets when you come to Pireus. There are quite a few choices during the day, with a slight reservations if you are going straight to Ios.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries during peak season

Thanks - what we're doing is flying to Santorini first so we won't be in Pireus at all until the end of the trip. Is it possible to get tickets from Santorini to Ios when we arrive in Santorini?

If we need to make a reservation, how do we do this?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries during peak season

It would be easiest, and is normal practice to buy your ferry tickets on the island you are leaving from, so when you arrive on Santorini look up the ferry times in the agents, they have massive boards outside you can't miss them.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries during peak season

It is best to book everything from Santorini when you get there. You can book all your ferry tickets from one travel agent, even if Santorini is not included in the final legs of your trip.

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
821 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries during peak season

also ios has lots of ferries arriving and departing from may through to oct ,

all ferries that go to santorini from pireaus stop at ios first and then the ferries returns to ios on way back to pireaus

just thought id let you know greektraveller !!

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
Level Contributor
821 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries during peak season

also ios has lots of ferries arriving and departing from may through to oct ,

all ferries that go to santorini from pireaus stop at ios first and then the ferries returns to ios on way back to pireaus

just thought id let you know greektraveller !!