We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tap water or bottled water?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,133 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Tap water or bottled water?

We will be traveling to Greece for the last two weeks in September. when my daughter was traveling in the Cyclades in June last year, the tour guide encouraged them to buy bottled water. I can appreciate that some of the islands may have problems with water, especially during the summer months. Will this still be the case in September? I do not like buying bottled water, because of the plastic, and only buy it here for our earthquake kit!

Please tell me if I should buy bottled water. We will be in Mykonos, Naxos, Paros and Santorini.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini Royal Travel
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Food Tours
Santorini Port Super Shuttle
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Nst Santorini Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

I don't think tap water is unsafe so if you want to you may drink it. But it does not taste very well to be honest. It is slightly salty in many places I tried.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

I would drink bottled water on Mykonos, Santorini & Paros. You may be ok with the tap water on Naxos.

Very few of the "locals" drink the tap water on Mykonos.

The water won't poison you but due to different mineral content to what you are used to it may upset your stomach slightly.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

Hi.

I have often wondered whether taking a filter jug would help take most of the minerals out of the water.

Has anyone ever tried it?

There may be people who live in mineral rich water places who can answer.

It may be the answer for those who have concerns about plastic bottles. :O)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

Just imagine how many plastic bottles end up in landfill on the islands! I have a filter jug at home, but must admit to using plastic bottles when in Greece. I wouldn't want to pack the filter jug in my suitcase, but perhaps a travel water filter would work.

The problem in the Cyclades is from seawater seeping into the aquifers and mixing in with the groundwater drinking supply. Some islands have desalination plants, and others have water shipped in by tankers. When it is mixed in with the natural water supply you still get the mineral taste.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

Bottled water is more consistant than tap water.

Tap water varies so much depending on the particular island and time of year, often very high in salt content and can taste dreadful. Depends on how you can tolerate that.

So by default I always buy bottled water to drink.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,133 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

If I have to buy bottled water then, is there at least a place where you can recycle them rather than throwing them in the garbage? Do you return them to where you bought them? Don't care if we have to pay a deposit, just don't want them sitting in a landfill for the next two or three centuries!

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

I think you may want to read this short summary. There is a small mention of Greece and the Greek islands.

europa.eu/legislation_summaries/environment/…

Bringing a portable filter jag may be the answer for those who feel very strongly about the issue. I have seen a few brands in travel accessories shops, they look like ordinary bottles but with a filter.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,059 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

Recycling isn't a priority on the Greek Islands, from what I've seen. I wish more islands had water dispensers like this one on Syros: regions202020.eu/cms/assets/Uploads/Resource…

If you really are concerned, then bring a travel water filter with you on the trip. :o)

Mentioned in this post
Syros
Syros
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

Naxos has set up facilities like these for recycling:

http://tinyurl.com/c2j4qe9

Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tap water or bottled water?

You can certainly drink tap water on Naxos. it is fine with no taste at all.

A second option for cool fresh water is, as you walk through Chora you will see many small upright marble stoles with bronze taps. This water is from a natural spring and the locals bring plastic bottles and fill them up at these locations. We do too and that water is really good.

So on Naxos you can not only recycle but you can hold on to your first water bottle and re use it the whole time you are on Naxos.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 15:23
Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece