We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Silver Spring MD
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Hello!

Looking for recommendations on an island to stop/stay for 2-3 notes between Santorini and my return to Greece. Will be spending 5 nites in Santorini at the start and then want to ferry to one (POSSIBLY 2) additional islands for 2-3 notes before returning to Athens for my final nite or two.

Traveling solo.

Don't want to rent a car.

Want to be able to walk to the beach.

Prefer quiet to clubbing

So - Paros? Ios? Naxos?

Appreciate all the help! Thank you.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Naxos! And go stay on Plaka beach. I traveled solo to all the places you mention. Ios is a party island, and probably the least pretty in my opinion. The beaches were very crowded, and not my favorite. Paros is lovely and quiet and charming and very doable on foot. But again, the beach pales to Naxos.

I arrived from Paros to Naxos by ferry and was picked up by one of the guys who wait by the ferry to take you to their hotels or rooms for rent. I went with one, and after getting settled, took the bus (like 5ish minutes) out to Plaka beach because I had read it was the prettiest beach....and it was! I just walked the little dirt road a bit and found a little "hotel" for like 25 euros a night that was ON the beach....so I bailed on the city place and moved to the beach. best decision of my trip!

I loved the charm of Santorini (I stayed out in Oia), but the relaxed beauty of Naxos beaches almost make it my favorite Island. Be warned, once you pass Plaka beach, a ways down, it does turn into a nude beach...mostly elderly Germans ;)

And the little loop bus is cheap and an easy ride into the city for restaurants and shops (although there are a few restaurants and a little market out on Plaka as well.) I was all on foot, no car, and the bus was easy. Oh I wanna go back right now!! :) Have a wonderful time!

Edited: 25 July 2012, 03:10
Silver Spring MD
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Thank you so much! Naxos is the island I'd been leaning toward, and your email has pretty much convinced me. And thanks too for the elderly-nude-Germans-on-the-beach alert too. ;-)

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Hi Gal, planned a Greece vacation with few buddies of mine. I am really kinda up in the clouds about were to stay. We all are in our 30s and would like hang by the beach and do lil sightseeing. Evening restaurant, music night life. Please advise

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,201 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

An island I particularly like is Antiparos:

islandstrolling.com/islands/…antiparos.htm

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,840 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Forget Santorini, go to Ios, Naxos and Paros/Antiparos.

On Ios stay in the port area it's quieter. Both Naxos and Paros/Antiparos have smaller resorts that are much less busy than the main port town. Antiparos as a whole is quieter/smaller anyway.

Silver Spring MD
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

Hmmm, still sort of overwhelmed by where to stay on Naxos. I want to be near a sandy beach (not a rocky one), and close in to town for groceries, conveniences. Don't want to rent a car. Didn't realize how many different locations within Naxos I'd need to look at to decide where to stay.

Plaka looks great for the beach - but too far away from town, it seems.

I'm surmising that St. George Beach is the "town beach," so likely to be crowded.

Should I be narrowing my search to Naxos City for accomodations, and do folks have recommendations - on the beach or adjacent to it - in Naxos City proper.

Thank you.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

There are regular buses from Chora to Plaka. The bus stops near the open cinema at Ag. Georgios. If the bus becomes full, they will send another bus. The last one leaves Chora at 1.30 AM.

Therefore, it's the best idea to stay in Chora or Ag. Geoegios and take a bus to Plaka.

Unfortunately the wind was very strong this week and there are piles of decaying sea weed/grass at Ag. Georgioa beach. Plaka, on the other hand, is heavenly.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

St. George is a very long beach. Crowded only at the end closest to the town. If you walk 10 min, past the Flisvos surf center, you will almost be alone. Or go by the bus to Plaka if you want an even longer beach. From Plaka you may walk along the beach for another hour, past Mikri Vigla.

If you want a look at the life in Naxos Town in the evening, wait until evening and have a look at the live web-camera http://www.naxosisland.eu/portara.html If you switch to the camera on St George (on daytime) you will have an idea of the area past Flisvos club. You may walk almost to the hills in the far end.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

If, as I surmise from an earlier post, you plan to be on Naxos in late Sep/early Oct, it won't be crowded on St George Beach or anywhere else for that matter.

For an end-of-season visit I would strongly recommend staying in the St George area of Naxos Town. There will still be buses to Plaka and the other beaches, but frequency will be reduced from high season. I doubt there will be buses to Plaka running as late as 1:30 am at the end of September.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling solo - favorite island in Cyclades?

"St. George is a very long beach. Crowded only at the end closest to the town. If you walk 10 min, past the Flisvos surf center, you will almost be alone."

Here is to give you an idea of the southern part of the beach:

http://tinyurl.com/bwcy7p9