We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping itinerary

wigan
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Island hopping itinerary

Would like any suggestions about our planned trip during summer holidays 2013:

Flying in and out of Mykonos for 18nights.

Two adults and an 8 year old.

Thinking of 2nts Mykonos, 4 tinos, 4 Syros, 4 Paros, 3 Naxos and then returning to mykanos the night before we fly out.

Heard its best to book ferris in advance at this time of year? Have chosen these island as they offer a mixture of Greece with shortish crossings.

Should I considered flying in/ out of santourini or is it too far/too busy?

Any help appreciated

Hannah

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping itinerary

Hi,

At that time of year wise to book ferries and accommodation.

I have done both, flying out of Mykonos and Santorini. The second time I changed the flight to Santorini for the sole reason you can get a big Bluestar ferry Naxos > Santorini. I hate the small catamarans so much in rough weather, very likely in July/Aug, and that was the option from Naxos/Paros.

Mykonos or Santorini ports/main town are both very busy at that that time, however both the airports are small but OK. Santorini airport is preferable as it has an open roof terrace and a taverna outside just up the road. I stayed in Kamari Beach as it's convenient for the airport.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,118 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping itinerary

For the journeys you will be making it won't be necessary to book ferries in advance. Ferries are only full on the first leg of their journey from the mainland or on the last leg of their journey back to the mainland. Since all your journeys will be inter-sland you should be OK just buying your tickets from the island ticket agencies a day or two before you travel.

Several days a week this last summer there was a large ferry Superferry II from Naxos to Mykonos. If this is availble when you want to make this trip then you can do all your ferry journeys on traditional ferries. If you have to use a catamaran for this particular trip it would probably be wise to book that one in advance (because they are full of Americans going from Santorini to Mykonos), but you will be OK buying that ticket when you arrive on Mykonos. If you do book any ferries in advance on the web you will still have to visit an agency to pick up the tickets.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 13:08
3. Re: Island hopping itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:19