We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferries in May - reliable?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
205 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
ferries in May - reliable?

I am planning a trip for next May, arriving about the middle of the month. Of course I have read about "unreliable" ferries but do not want to be overly concerned. We plan to ferry between Santorini and Naxos and then from Naxos to Athens. I know these are main, daily routes and I am thinking May is not an "active" weather month. Can I be reasonably certain of making plans for specific days for booking hotels and then the flight home? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

'Can I be reasonably certain of making plans for specific days for booking hotels and then the flight home? Thanks!'

Of course you can. I don't know where you read such rubbish about ferries.

There are several daily ferries on both your routes, one of which is Bluestar ferries, problems are very unlikely.

You obviously don't cut it too fine arriving back in Piraeus for a flight, but that equally applies to flying. Both are mechanical means of transport and subject to problems now and again.

Mentioned in this post
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

The ferries on this route are very reliable, but weather is for none to predict. Thats why we always advice to plan the last night on the mainland.

I have on a couple of occasions used air-transport from Naxos to Athens on my return, and are very happy with doing so. Transfer time in Athens airport has been less than 2 hours without giving any problems. On one occasion the ferry were cancelled due to heavy winds, but the plane had no problems. But be aware, planes are small so early booking is essential.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 09:23
Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
205 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

I guess I was referring more to the weather conditions than the mechanical condition of the ferries. We had planned to fly but after reading that the plans were quite small (we will have good sized bags), I decided to take our time and use the ferry - arriving into Athens the day before flying home.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

The planes used on the Naxos route are DASH 8, 100 series, with 35 seats.

Edited: 15 November 2012, 13:48
Mentioned in this post
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

Hey and welcom SueC1:-) The Seas for the most part in May are good;-) The Meltemi doesn't kick in till later on in the Summer.. you should have smooth sailing.. plan away.. and EnjoY!

Edited: 15 November 2012, 15:34
6. Re: ferries in May - reliable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 08:17