We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry vs plane

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ferry vs plane

Which is more dependable between Athens and Santorini+Athens and Naxos? By dependable meaning more or less prone to delays and cancellations due to high winds or rough seas?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry vs plane

Planes are much faster, more comfortable, less prone to high winds and often you can get the tickets for almost the same price. Also, you do not have to travel from the Athens aiport to one of the ports. For example, my Athens-Santorini ticket cost 58 EUR and my Naxos-Athens ticket cost 80 EUR.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 19:02
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry vs plane

My son often travel between Athens - Santorini, and the difference in flying /ferry is not much, he flies.

Thessaloniki, Greece
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry vs plane

I would prefer plane... Find offers in 1aeroporika.gr

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,900 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry vs plane

Unless you want to pretend the ferry is a sea cruise experience we always choose to fly whenever possible. The Blue star ferry from Athens to Naxos takes 5 hours so, is a no braine. Aa 45 minute flight wins every time. You seem to be planning Athens to Santorini- Santorini to Naxos and Naxos to Athens. Aegean often has special fares available but even now the faer is not too bad Athens to Santorini. It is practical to take the ferry from Santorini to Naxos as it is a fairy short hop and then fly Naxos to Athens. Be aware that the Naxos Athens flight is on Olympic and they have no specials on this route. The aircraft is a Dash 8 ( which is another great reason not to be concerned with reliability and bad conditions, These aircraft are heavily utilized here on the west coast of Canada.)

They have only 30 seat capacity so that flight books up fast so you should make that booking quickly.

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry vs plane

It seems to be the overwhelming response is to fly, when planning our honeymoon, however, the schedules for flights means we would have to spend almost a whole day traveling. It required us to fly back to Athens every time we wanted to go to a new island. Is this not the case? I'm confused.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry vs plane

<<the schedules for flights means we would have to spend almost a whole day traveling. It required us to fly back to Athens every time we wanted to go to a new island. Is this not the case? I'm confused.>>

No, you're not confused. That's why it's best to plan an itinerary that follows the ferry route. You fly to your first island, ferry to one (or two, etc) that are nearby, and then fly back to Athens.

If you want to visit Corfu, Crete, and Rhodes, for example, you will be spending most of a day getting from one to another if flying.

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry vs plane

Thanks to all for the input. I already booked Athens-Santorini plane and we intend to find a ferry Santorini-Naxos. I read that they run every day so OK. I was thinking of ferry Naxos-Athens to arrive maybe earlier in Athens than the flight that arrives at 4pm; but it seems that feries would arrive also late afternoon. So i'll book the flight for Naxos-Athens also. Then rent a car at airport and drive as far as we can by daylight towards South Peloponese, our destination for 2 weeks.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry vs plane

The last three years there have been daily Aegean flights from Athens to Kalamata. The schedule (if there is one) hasn't yet been published for this year.

NY
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry vs plane

Too late, just purchased the flights; they said only 8 tickets were left. We might drive to Nfplio and stay there 1 night; sounds nice from the reading i did on the Peloponese forum

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry vs plane

Sounds like a great plan nyvoyager:-) A fllight back to Athens and a rental pick up right at the airport.. and you're off;-) You'll be in Nauplion in a couple of hours.. in time to have a nice dinner and watch the sun set;-) It's a great waterfront Town you can easily base at for a couple+ of nights with loads in area to take in.. Epidauros theater, Mycenae, Old Corinth.. and with the ease of the rental, you've got all the flex time and convenience in getting around.. piece of cake.. great going;-) EnjoY!