We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Island with Toddler

New York, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best Island with Toddler

My wife and I will be in Greece at the end of August with our 1 1/2 year old daughter for 10-12 days. I'm thinking two islands would be ideal, and from what I've read Naxos is an excellent first choice. I'm looking for recommendations for our 2nd destination. I have heard good things about Antiparos, Folegandros, and Koufonissia in general, though am not sure how each would be with my little one. We don't mind small and quiet, but would prefer a little higher end vs more basic accommodations. A kitchenette and even an apartment would be fantastic.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here and can't wait for some great ideas!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Hi,

I would delete Folegandros off your list, the beaches are not great and not very conveniently placed. Great for adults and hikers but not really children. Also the ferries a bit more tricky/long winded.

But your other islands are good ones, to which you could add a couple of places on Paros like Aliki, Piso Livadi/Logaras, Naoussa. Also somewhere like Galissas on Syros. Egiali on Amorgos which ties in with say Donoussa or Koufonisi.

All of those places can be done with 'basic' Greek type accommodation available everywhere.

I don't do higher end at all, as it is slowly destroying the character of some islands. Some of those places mentioned do have higher end accommodation, but not all.

However the standard of 'basic' rooms for rent/studios these days are much better, I should not really describe them as basic maybe 1 or 2 stars is more appropriate.

So, what I am saying is turn your back on luxury/higher end and just enjoy the islands as they are, I doubt you will regret that.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Naxos and Antiparos are both good islands for families with toddlers. Stay in the St George area of Naxos and you will have a good sandy beach that slopes gently from shore. It's about a 15 minute walk from St George to the main harbour/kastro area of Naxos Town.

The beaches near town on Antiparos are also gently sloping, mostly sand with some pebbles mixed in. Antiparos Town is very compact, with beaches, shops, and restaurants all within walking distance of the majority of hotels. The main street, where most of the shops and restaurants are located, is pedestrian-only, making it a very safe environment for children.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Thanks so much for the quick feedback! Do either of you know anything about Koufonissi? I know it's small, just not sure about the beach situation.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Island with Toddler

There are some nice beaches, the further away from chora the better. Pori was my favourite, about 30 minutes walk, as I recall.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Indeed Naxos St George beach area is an excellent choice with a toddler. The beach is protected and very shallow and the chances are it will be full of kids and families. We are budget travelers so High end isn't what we know but you could try Hotel Glaros right on St George. For more modest hotels try Kalergos Studios situated right on the beach and has kitchenettes as does Hotel Spiros set back a couple hundred meters from the beach but an easy stroll. It has ocean views and a poo.

Here are images of St George Beach

flickr.com/photos/…

As well as Several hotels at St George including the three I mentioned

St George Beach Hotels Naxos

flickr.com/photos/…

I will vote with Heimdall on his recommendation of Antiparos. It is close to Naxos so a short hop, it is laid back and has several good beaches within a short walk of the village.

Here are images of Antiparos

Antiparos

flickr.com/photos/…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Excellent! Leaning towards Antiparos. How would Sifnos compare? I've read great things about it as well, and there is a ferry direct from Paros.

UK
Level Contributor
296 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Island with Toddler

We stayed on Koufonissi last year and would recommend it.

Child friendly beaches, not too busy and a nice village centre with a few tavernas and shops.

There were quite a few families around when we were there in early July.

We stayed at the Aeolos Hotel, which we thought was perfect. It is higher end small hotel but still retains a family atmosphere and is in keeping with the Cyclades charm. It is owned and run by Stamatis and his family. They spend the summer on koufonissi and the winter in America.

http://www.aeoloshotel.com/

Also our review of koufonissi with some pics

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

New York, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Mark149m, you mentioned you went to Naxos after Koufonissi, would you agree that it should be one of our destinations?

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Island with Toddler

If you are leaning towards Antiparos then take the jump....It is wonderful, you wont be disappointed....

UK
Level Contributor
296 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Island with Toddler

Hi MBMaverick

Yes we've been to Naxos a number of times and always enjoyed it.

It's a lot bigger than most of the other recommendations but there's something for everyone from busy through to quiet and the beaches are great.

Personally I'd go for Naxos and combine it with a quieter / smaller Island. That way you'll get a feel for where you are most comfortable. We've just talked about Koufonissi but Sifnos and Amorgos are also good for families.

We started with Naxos and Santorini and have been to around 20 islands now, generally going quieter and less touristy as we've gone along.

There's some great advice on here and planning is part of the fun