We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Hi all, I am planning on being in the Cyclades this September 8th for about 3 weeks. My itinerary as of now is:

-Saturday 9/7 Athens

-Sunday 9/8 depart Athens to Paros

-Paros 9/8-9/13 (hoping to stay in Hotel Petres), ferry on 13th to Naxos

-Naxos 9/13-9/20 (staying at either Kavos Naxos or Naxian Collection), ferry on 20th to Milos

-Milos 9/20-23 or 24 (looking at Salt, Melian or Kapetan Tasos to stay)

-OPEN 9/23-24 through 27/28

-Athens to Corfu around the 27/28th

-Corfu and 1 other Ionian 9/27 or 28 through 10/5

-Fly out of Athens on the 6th

As you can see my itinerary is open for several days in the middle and I was considering Sifnos for 3 days, but am wondering if it is too similar to the other the islands I am going to? Will Sifnos be completely desolate at this time of season?Also, I am not sure it will be easy to get back from Sifnos to Athens in a timely fashion around the 27th or 28th. Can anyone provide advice or insight?

I also welcome feedback on the hotel selections for the other islands.

I am traveling solo (female) for most of the trip (except Naxos) and while I don't want a Mykonos-style experience, I do want taverns and so forth to still be open and not completely desolate. I imagine during Sept it will be a very different crowd on the islands anyways. My last trip to Greece I did Santorini, Folegandros, Antiparos and Myk. so wanted to explore some new islands.

Thank you!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

hi...which transports have you booked and which not?always check the transport first,you can always find accomodation..how tight is your budget?will you only be using ferrys or flights as well?more details would be useful..

ferry timetables..

http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/index.html

domestic flight timetables

http://en.aegeanair.com/

https://www.olympicair.com/

athens (pireaus port) to paros ferries on 9/8

www.openseas.gr/openseas/SearchTrips.html

athens (rafina port) to pireaus ferry..

paros to naxos ferries on 09/13

naxos to milos ferry on 09/20

and another one WHICH IS NOT CONFIRMED YET

http://tinyurl.com/o2f47em

from there your plan is starting to get vague..where to from milos?athens to corfu will be by flight?which other ionian island and where are you returning to athens from?once you finalize your pklan you can check the links i gave you for the transportations..for accomodation i hope you get somne good suggestions here..otherwise check the hotel reviews of each area here on TA and choose the ones that seem to fit you

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Thank you athanasios. I have been using ferriesingreece.com to figure out the ferry schedules and then confirming with the specific vessel line's web sites (sea jet, bluestar, etc) to make sure that there is availability. https:/…result_vessels.php

These ferry tickets are not booked yet, but was planning on finalizing today/tomorrow once I had a chance to get feedback on TA.

After Milos, I have a 3 day window which is what I was looking for advice on. My options as I see them are: go to Sifnos for 3 days, go to another cycladic island for 3 days, or go straight to Corfu via Athens. This is what I am hoping I can get some TA feedback on.

And yes, I am booking a RT flight from Athens to Corfu. While in Corfu, I may try to take a trip to Paxos or Kefalonia. But I may play this by ear once I am there in Corfu.

The accommodations that I listed above for Paros, Naxos and Milos have all been well reviewed on TA. If I go to Sifnos, I was looking at staying at Kamaroti.

Thanks again for your help!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,693 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

You can also find domestic flights here (both Aegean and Olympic). Click on your destination and you will find airlines and schedules:

aia.gr/traveler/…

On Naxos both Kavos and Naxian Collection are away from public transport and beaches, but they both have swimming pools and are highly rated.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 19:23
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Your itinerary is all islands, except for brief stopovers in Athens. Why not, for a change of pace, go somewhere on the mainland? If you don't want to stay in Athens you could take a trip to Nafplion or Delphi, for example.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Thank you Greek Traveller. After looking again at the schedules that you both posted, it seems as if I will have better luck if I flip Paros and Milos in the itinerary in order to make the 18:40 flight out of Athens to Corfu on the 24th or 25th. That would mean 5 nights in Milos--is this too much? If I leave from Paros to Athens on either the 24th or 25th, it looks like there is a ferry that can get me in to Athens by 15:00, assuming all goes well. I hope this is a reliable plan. Unfortunately it looks like most of the early morning Olympic flights from either Milos or Paros back to Athens on those days are booked or unavailable, so I will have to ferry.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
176 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Hi Nikiman

Just to wish you a great trip to the Islands, my only advice would be do not try to visit too many places as you will spend half your trip on ferries.

The good news is you have chosen a great hotel on Paros.... Hotel Petres... it is a little way out but they offer a free transport link into the village, Sotoris the owner will meet you at the port and transport you to the hotel and back free, great place to chill with a wonderful pool..... I love my stays there and I am sure you will do the same

Enjoy Sweeney.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Greek-traveller is very diplomatic when he describes the location of Kavos and Naxian Collection. To me they are in the middle of nowhere. Far away from everything interesting. I would chooce some place in, or close to Naxos town.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

Thank you all! It seems as though I should stick to Milos, Naxos and Paros for this part of the trip. Adding one more island in this group will be too much. In terms of the hotels in Naxos, the reviews on Naxian and Kavos were that they were about a 10 minute walk to Agios Prokopios. Are there others you recommend? We did not want to be smack in the middle of a busy town, and we will have a car to get around. For this leg of the trip I am meeting others and so we required a 2 bed/ 2 bath accommodation, which both of these hotels offered.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

The entire island of Naxos has a population of about 20,000, and by the end of September most of the tourists will be gone. It won't be very busy in Naxos Town.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 07:25
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,847 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sept. Cyclades itinerary suggestion and ferry schedule

I would go down the Western Cyclades first whether that's Sifnos and/or Milos then to Paros/Naxos.

The ferries to Piraeus are better timed from Paros/Naxos. Thus easier to sync with your flight to Corfu.

Something like Piraeus > Sifnos > Milos > Paros > Naxos > Piraeus.

I reckon Sifnos is quite different from Milos. Primarily a Greek tourist island putting it early means it will be busier as well.

I would put in Syros rather than Corfu, basically just because it's much easier in the same area.

Don't know any of those hotels at all, Mykonos style and prices by the looks of them.