We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santorini or Mykanos?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Santorini or Mykanos?

Hi, I would be really grateful for some advice as I can't decide which island would be best for us. My husband and I and our 20 year old daughter want a week in a nice 5 star hotel, bed and breakfast. A resort with a good number of restaurants in a short walking distance for the evening. We would like a really nice pool and a lovely beach. In Santorini I have looked at Kamari, as this seems to offer what we want but is the beach nice as it's volcanic sand? Then Mykanos looks lovely too,- any infomration that might help me make a choice between the two would be really appreciated.

Also if you have any hotel recommendations, that would be so helpful. I have found the Kastelli Resort in Santorini and in Mykanos the Cavo Tagoo or the Myconian Ambassador (but I think that one is a cab ride to restaurants, so not sure how easy it is to get cabs there and back each evening). if there's anywhere else you would recommend over these, it would be great to know.

Anyway any help would be great, as I just can't decide at the moment!

Thanks so much.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 16:51
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

The Myconian Ambassador is at Platis Gialos beach, which has a strip of restaurants, three of which are in the Top 10 restaurant listing for Mykonos here on TripAdvisor. There are more good restaurants within walking distance. So if you were to stay at the Ambassador, you would not have to travel all the way into Mykonos Town to have meals.

There is regular bus service between Mykonos Town and Platis Gialos beach, so you can easily get into town for dinner in the evening and as long as you're not staying too late into the night you could get a bus ride back, too. (You didn't mention what time of year you're planning to travel, which is important).

Platis Gialos is a nice beach, and within reasonable walking distance are three more beaches. Each beach is quite different, so you would have a variety of beaches to check out during your stay.

There also is shuttle boat service from Platis Gialos to other beaches on the Mykonos southern coast, offering opportunities to experience even more of the island.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

If you want a good beach then Mykonos is what you want rather than Santorini. Donny has given you some good information. My objection to Platys Yialos is that the sunbeds are packed like sardines, but you have other beaches to choose from. None of the hotels on Mykonos are very large so they don't have large pools. People tend not to use the pools much as they prefer the beaches.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

Thanks both, that's really helpful.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

You won't get 5 star or a "nice" beach in Kamari.

In Kamari you'll find lots of excellent hotels at all standards, but it's more of a family, package holiday resort rather than top end. If you want top end, you need to be looking at the caldera side of Santorini - Fira, Firostefani, Imerivigli or Oia. Howver, none of these are close to a beach as they are perched on top of the cliffs.

As to beaches, yes, they're blackish/greyish volcanic grit and pebbles, not sand. If it's soft sandy beaches you're after, then maybe Santorini isn't for you.

Martin

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

Thanks that's helpful. We have decided on Santorini regardless of the beaches as we've wanted to go there for so long. The information re Oia and Kamari is really helpful. If we can stretch to it I think we will book Oia and if not then Kamrai it will be.

Do you have any hotel recommendations for either? I am looking at Katikies in Oia or Kastelli Resort in Kamari. Andronis Luxury suites looks fabulous but above our budget I think.

Thanks for any help, there are just so many hotels to choose from, main criteria is to be able to walk to restaurants in the evening and a hotel pool.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

I see you're posting on the Santorini forum too.

I'm no hotel expert, especially OIa or Kamari, but from what I've read, Katikies in Oia is always high on people's lists, and again, from what I've read, the Kastelli in Kamari is also very well regarded.

If you look through some of the topics on the Santorini forum, I'm sure you'll find lots of information on hotels and lots of other stuff too.

Martin

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

Thanks Martin I have been reading the forums. At least I have settled on Santorini this time round and an narrowing down the hotels, thanks for your help.

8. Re: Santorini or Mykanos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17