We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek islands

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Greek islands

I am a single female in her mid 30s who will be travelling alone to Greece in late August. I will have only 8 days to myself. I was thinking of the following itinerary, but would like to know if this is enough time for everything:

Mykonos (with day trip to Delos) 2 nights

Santorini (3 nights)

Crete (3 nights)

I definitely want to see Delos and Santorini - however is it enough time for Crete? I would only have enough time for one town and don't know whether to choose Heraklion or Chania.

Should I just forget about Crete and select a different (smaller) island?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek islands

What about Athens? Assuming you're coming in from the States, an overnight (or 2) coming/going should really be considered to at least take in the Acropolis, a walk around this great City!....Since you have 8 days (and coming in from such a distance can understand wanting to take in as much as possible), but in all reality, to truly get the feel and see a couple of isles at least 3 nights each would be ideal....since you definetely want to take in Delos and Santorini I would say dropping one would leave you with a better itinerary...ouch! I know it hurts! Crete alone deserves an entire week so why not go to Mykonos (where you can visit Delos) and Santorini on this visit staying 3 nights at each and save Crete for your next visit (and believe me, after you visit Greece once, there will be a 'next' time!)...leaving you a night or 2 for Athens? This would be ample time at all places and would not consider adding any other isle to this itinerary....Happy planning barcelona1 and Enjoy!

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek islands

I actually will be spending 6 nights in Athens the following week, as well as a few days in the Peloponnese.

I am afraid if I stay on two islands for a longer period of time, then I may get bored and wish that I had spent the time on a 3rd island.

Are 2 nights enough in Mykonos? Are three even better? What else is there to do there other than Delos?

(Remember, I will be traveling alone - and won't really be into the nightclub scene)

What about Santorini? I plan on 3 nights there - would you recommend a longer period of time?

Should I consider other islands that are closer than Crete?

Thanks again.

Diana

athens
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek islands

Crete is great and yes 3 days are very little time.

One option is to stay in Heraklion spend a day in Knossos palace and measum and the rest of the time rent a car to explore the place (beadiful villages great beaches) or just relax and enjoy the beach and the sun.

You also can go to Chania and stay in the old town (I 'm inlove with this town). There you will find many things to do and see. If you are able to rent a car for one day again I suggest spend a day around villages and beaches. The rest of the time spend it in Chania town.

Other options are Paros, Naksos, Milos (great - great beaches and many things to do) and Siros (big island, beaudiful town). All these islands are about 2-3 hours from Santorini.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek islands

OK, now I got the picture...that answers the 'Athens' portion! Agree totally w/Pokatro that 3 days in not nearly enough in Crete...as mentioned, it is a large isle w/many villages/sights to see so would alone require a week....On your itinerary (since you feel you may get bored staying too long at one place) why not add an island to the route you are already on...Naxos would be a great choice and is in a direct/convenient route transport-wise going from Mykonos to Naxos then on to Santorini ( where I would suggest 3 nights!)..Enjoy!

Hudson Valley, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek islands

Barelona,

I spent 12 days in Greece last August and most of it was (8 days)in Crete, and the rest was in Athens. I had a great time. I am also thinking of going to Santorini next month and I only have 8 days. I have never been there before. LIke you I am single and in my mid-30's. If you find can let me know any good info about traveling there I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
181 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek islands

Barcelona 1 - The islands you have picked are all wonderful, however they are quite touristy. You might want to try one that is slightly "off the beaten path". I recently visited Folegandros and fell in love with this little island. As a single woman, you would feel very safe and make many friends. Nearly 20 years ago I visited Santorini for the first time and felt I had discovered a "hidden secret". This is the same way I felt after visiting Folegandros. If you want more info..let me know.

West Chester, PA
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek islands

Crete is beautiful, and if you go, Chania is the best of it (i just returned a few days ago). But Crete IS a far ferry ride, even in the high speed (if you go, I recommend the overnight from Pireaus--get a cabin--then from Crete, hit Santorini and then Mykonos. This is a logical order than brings you closer to Athens with each move--so a shorter return ferry at the end of your trip.) Naxos is a personal favorite of mine, it is close to Mykonos (so less time on the ferry) and has lots of things to see for a 3 day stop. It is also FAR less expensive than either Santorini (which MUST be seen once) or Mykonos.

One thing to keep in mind is the ferry schedule for the islands you plan to visit. The three you mentioned all have daily stops, as does Naxos, but Folegandros does not. And as a person who just experienced the dilemmas of ferry travel (rough seas grounding everyone for 2 days), you want to be at an island that has daily options if complications arise. Also, note that Folegandros doesn't have any banks or atms, so you have to bring all of your cash with you (and remember that many small establishments in greece don't take credit cards). I realize this sounds like I am trying to dissuade you from Folegandros (which I am really not doing)--I just think you should know this stuff going in.

Finally, wherever you end up going, give yourself at least a full day and night in Athens before your plane takes off. you cannot count on the ferries always being on time, so cutting it close with your flight is a bad idea.

Enjoy yourself!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
181 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek islands

Prof, Folegandros may have changed since you were last there. There is now 1 ATM and daily ferries from Pireus in the summer. There are also at least 5 or 6 ferries a week to and from Santorini.

Barcelona1, I spent at least 3 days on each island and would not have wanted a shorter stay anywhere. By the time you factor in travel time, it really isn't a lot of time on each island. No matter where you decide to go, you will probably not want to leave!

London, England
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek islands

Journeywoman - are you by chance aware of Fata Morgana studios or the Belevedere Apts from your time in Folegandros?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek islands

Got to Crete on your next trip. With eight days I would do santorini and a nearby island, maybe your like 5 days in Santorini and maybe three days in Milos? Milos can give you a more "Old Greece" feel as Santorini is more of a tourist island. BTW, I'm doing a Milos, Santorini combo this year for that same reason.