We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

connecton in Athens

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
connecton in Athens

will be flying USAir from Philly to Athens then Olympic Air to Paros. My question is this- Since this is 2 separate bookings with 2 different airlines what will happen once at ATH. I'm assuming I collect my bags, clears customs then go to Olympic counter to check in for flight to Paros. If so is 2 hours enough time to do all that?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: connecton in Athens

Yes this will require you to clear customs and get your bags and then another check in. Two hours should be enough time to do all that. Don't waste any time get right to the Olympic check in as quickly as you can. Athens airport is pretty efficient and not too large.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: connecton in Athens

Hey and welcome argman:-) The 3 stop process starts with passport control/immigration.. this usually takes about 15-20 min depending on where on the line you're at;-) After you get your passport stamped, you head to luggage retrieval.. this can take anywhere from 10-15 min.. you then go through customs exiting the 'green' door if nothing to declare;-) I usually fly the directs out of JFK (DL) and have flown CO (now UA) out of EWR.. not to mention the dozens of times when Olympic was operating year round.. bottom line, it's never taken me more than about an hour to go through entire process.. and that's pushing it.. it usually averages out to about 40-45 min and you're done!

Once you exit into arrivals hall, you simply head upstairs (1 flight) to departures to check in for your isle flight;-) There are stairs, escalator or elevators.. the airport is super user-friendly, efficient, modern and all under 1 roof or terminal building.. you can check it out at www.aia.gr/ FWIW, a 2-hour spread should work if your trans is timely.. any significant delay and you may be looking at a miss so bottom line, it's your call.. your comfort zone;-) Coming off a trans and having to deal with all the formalities, it's good to allot about 2.5-3 hours as a minimum.. but many have transferred in way less time with success;-) You have to keep in mind the cut-off time for your isle flight is about 20-30 min prior to scheduled departure time! Only way not to make this is if you have over an hour delay heading out of Philly.. but even then, they can often make up for some of the time in the air;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Cherry Hill, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: connecton in Athens

Thx guys. Feel much better now. Will be booking flights tomorrow:)

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: connecton in Athens

Hi argman,

Check in online for the Olympic flight before you leave home, and print out your boarding passes. Then, instead of joining the check-in lines at Athens Airport, you simply leave your bags at the luggage drop-off point (next to the check-in counters) and head for the departure gate. That will save you lots of time.

5. Re: connecton in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18