We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
111 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

We will visit Greek islands in May for the first time and are thinking to stay in Crete(3 nights in Chania, 3 nights in Heraklion) , Santorini (3 nights in Oia, 4 nights in Fira).

We are senior aged 65-70 and interested in visiting historical sites, old ruins and enjoying beautiful scenery. As we don't drive, we have to walk around using buses and taxi locally. Although we think that this is not too long based on this itinerary, some say that we should add Mykonos shortening staying in Crete, Santorini one or two days each.

Now we would like to hear your valuable opinion which is better. Any kind of your advice will be appreciated, for example 3 night-stay in Oia is too much and so on.

Thank you for your help to make our trip fruitful, in advance.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

I,would recommend spending 3 or 4 nights in Santorini and the rest in Crete. Crete is a huge island with lots to see and do, and a good public transport system. You could easily spend all your 14 days there and still only see a small part of what Crete has to offer.

Your current plan means you would arrive in Heraklion from Santorini and travel to your accommodation on day 1, day 2 would be a full day, day 3 would be spent travelling to Chania and settling in, then again just one full day in Chania before your departure day. So you would spend most of your time in transit.

In Crete the majority of the historic sites are in the east so I would suggest you sta in Elounda or Agios Nikolaos, from where you can visit Heraklion to see the excellent archaeological museum.

Mykonos is, I understand, a party island with many clubs and bars so may not be for you, or only for a brief visit if you really want to see it.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

I agree 100% with 2bristolians. Just to put it into perspective, Crete in terms of land area is 100 times bigger than Santorini! It's 250km from one side to the other.

I would suggest 3 or 4 nights in Santorini, which is definitely worth a visit. Stay in just one location - fira and Oia are only a few miles apart. And devote the rest of your time to Crete. There is a good bus service all along the north coast, particularly between Chania, Rethymnon, Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos, so you could definitely do a 2 centre stay, for example Chania and Agios Nikolaos.

I also agree to skip Mykonos. Whilst undoubtedly the town is beautiful, to see it would eat into your time too much (in my opinion, others may disagree!)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Hi there

Agree with both above post 3/4 days in Santorini and the rest of the time in Crete ....have a look at this excellent web site which gives you lots of info on the island, if you do decide that you like the look of Agios Nikolaos or Elounda then happy to give you some recommendations

http://www.explorecrete.com

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,903 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Hi,

I would also miss out on Mykonos and quite possibly Santorini. At least minimize time spent on the latter. Crete has lots to offer in terms of historical sites:

www.ancient-greece.org/map/ancient-crete.html

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
111 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Hello, everybody ! Thank you for your comments and I understand that everybody agrees with 2bristolians' opinion which Crete comes first and Santorini second and skip Mykonos. Now we will reschedule our original plan as staying 3-4 nights in Santorini and the rest is in Crete. Considering two center stay in Crete, what are the best choice among Chania, Rethymno, Heraklion, Agios Nikolaos ?

I think Chania is worthwhile to stay even for a few days but I can't decide where to stay among above places, Heraklion or Agios Nikolaos. To walk around old towns and visit historic sites, temples, museum, which is better and more convenient considering public transportation, atmosphere, safety etc. ?

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Depends on what you like to do. If you want to spend part of your holiday relaxing with beautiful views, you could stay a little longer in Oia. There is no point in splitting Santorini between Fira and Oia, as the two villages are only about 10 km apart. There is a very good bus system on Santorini.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,903 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Hi,

Chania is a lovely city. And, if your plan is to visit Minoan sites on Crete I would choose Iraklion as a base in which to do so.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

hi,iraklio itself is not appealing..big ,nosy and with a lot of traffic....chania and rethymno in that order are the two most charming areas in crete,focus on them..

chania town

http://tinyurl.com/ohf8cj9

rethymno town

http://tinyurl.com/mkn2hpb

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Heraklion is a big, busy city so while it has many interesting sights, it might not be a relaxing place to holiday in.

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 14 day in Crete and Santorini holiday too long ?

Hi there

Agios Nikolaos is less than an hour away from Heraklion so it would make a good base and excellent bus links into Heraklion too