We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Hello,

Our family lands next Wednesday in Athens at midnight, but ferry doesn't leave until 7:30am

What is the best plan to leave for the port?

Should we sit in airport for a couple of hours before leaving for Pieraus?

Should we take a taxi or bus? Is there transportation at this hour?

How early can we get on the ferry?

How long is trip from airport to Pieraus?

We are headed to Santorini.

Should we rent a car on the island? We just want to see the island, relax and enjoy the views.

thank you.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

It takes only about an hour to get from the airport to the Piraeus docks that early in the morning. I usually wait until around 5:00 am and then take the X96 bus, which stops near the Cyclades ferries. They usually allow boarding up to an hour before the 7:30 departure, so you can get on early, find a seat, and settle down, maybe take a nap. When I go by Blue Star I buy a ticket for the business class lounge, which has sofas and is quieter than the economy section.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Hi,

I go along with Heimdall's suggestion. Below is a bus schedule:

http://www.oasa.gr/xmap.php?id=px96

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

thank you so much.

It's OK to bring luggage on the bus? Can we get a bus ticket at airport that morning?

we plan to get a 4-bed cabin in case anyone needs to sleep before landing.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,100 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Hi,

Be sure you can take luggage on the bus. You can buy a ticket at the airport just before boarding the bus. I am not sure what the situation is regarding a cabin though. Perhaps someone else can advise.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Hey and welcome ChatChar:-) Will you be arriving Athens straight from LA?;-) Does 'family' include any younger kids?;-) Reason being.. with a 10 hour time change and chances of at least 2-3 plane changes, you guys will be pretty beat:-) I don't know how you all travel.. but have you considered just grabbing a place for the night and flying or ferrying out next day?;-)

In a scenario such as this.. I'd hang at the airport (head across the Street to the Sofitel's 24X7 café/bar.. you can grab a bite.. let some time pass.. and take the dedicated Express X96 bus as suggested! Chances are you'd have gone through formalities somewhere en route with that arrival time so with an on-time arrival and just luggage retrieval to deal with.. looks like a long night.. unless you're coming from somewhere in Europe and already adjusted;-) Hopefully, the latter;-)) Best.. and EnJOY!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

In the past I have hung around in the airport until about 04:30 in the snack bar, although I've arrived later than you at about 02:00 - 02:30. Then when I've got to Piraeus I've bought or collected a ferry ticket and then gone into one of the tavernas at the port for breakfast. I think the buses run every 40 minutes during the night.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Thank you. The Sofitel didn't have any rooms available which is why we just decided to ferry onwards. Great idea to hang out at the hotel to eat and relax.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

Thank you for the bus info and the tavernas info.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

If you want a cabin it would be a good idea to book online directly with Blue Star. You will receive a reference number which is used to retrieve tickets from an agent or the ticket booth next to the ferry.

www.bluestarferries.com/site/content.asp…

Good idea to hang out in Sofitel until time for departure, but there are also some cafes in the terminal departures area on the upper level. I wouldn't get to Piraeus much earlier than 6:30 am, because it will be cold on the docks while you are sitting on your suitcases waiting to board. There are a few "greasy spoon" cafes open in the docks area, though.

Should you decide to take the bus, there is a ticket booth next to the bus rank outside the terminal arrivals area. Buy your tickets there and validate them in the little machine on the bus. It's an express bus, and stops right near the Cyclades docks. There are areas for luggage on the bus. If you don't have too much luggage there may be room for all four of your family in one taxi, which will take you right to the Blue Star ferry, The taxis waiting in the rank are mostly E-class Mercedes or other makes around that size.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 09:36
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens airport to Pieraus at night

I wouldn't call all the places at Piraeus 'greasy spoon' cafes. If you get off the bus and cross the road there is a block in front of you with a lot of ticket agencies in it. The Blue Star Ferries to the Cyclades are over to the right. On the left of this block there is a café/taverna that I think is quite decent and I think it is the only remaining eating establishment in the block. There was another place next to it and also a much larger one on the end but the last time I was at Piraeus both of these had closed.