We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

Phoenixville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

My wife and I will be visiting for the first time - the Greek Isles in late June / early July. We will be staying 9 nights - could extend to 10 nights. Our question is this: does the 9/10 nights give us sufficient time to explore 3 islands or should we stick to 2.

(As additional information we are locked in to both Mykonos and Santorini with the flights we have. The third island would likely be Naxos or Paros to minimize travel time! How would you distribute your time per island?)

Thanks for all ideas and suggestions.

Phoenixville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

Sorry - I said 9/10 nights above it is actually 8 nights which could be extended to 9. Thanks again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

Hi, 9 to 10 days may be many for 2 islands but at the same time not enough for 3 islands. If you decide to just visit Mykonos and Santorini, I would stay probably 5 nights in Mykonos and 4 in Santorini. If you decide to visit 3 islands, I think the best would be to stay 3 nights in Mykonos, 4 nights in Paros or Naxos and 3 nights in Santorini. However, the distribution of the days changes for each person - it depends on your priorities and what you want to basically do in each island - archaeological sites, hotels, beaches, nightlife, food etc. Also, if you want to see everything from each island or fully explore them, I would stick with 2 islands. If you don't mind "missing" some parts of an island, I would say you could do 3 islands in 10 days/nights.

Nick

Boston...
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

I just saw the change in the number of nights. So I would actually say either 4 in each (or 5 in Mykonos and 4 in Santorini) or 3 in each. 9 nights may not be enough days for 3 islands, but it depends on you. The good thing is that the islands you are thinking about are very close to each other, so the distances are about 1-2 hours by a highspeed ferry.

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

Stick to two islands. Three islands in 8 or 9 days is do-able, but I think you'll start to feel like you're almost constantly "on the move" with little time to settle.

I think 14 nights is minimum for a relaxing three island trip, taking into account arrival/departure, and 'hopping', days.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

hi..i agree,definitely two islands..every day you move from an island to another you miss the best part of your day..the transfer time doesn't include only the trip but also packing,unpacking,waiting for the ferry ,embarking,disembarking,etc..you will feel like you constantly move around and have no time to relax and enjoy your holiday..and i also agree that mykonos should get more days than santorini..maybe 3 days in santorini 5 in mykonos..

6. Re: First time - 2 or 3 Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:18