We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hi guys

I've been spending a bit of time on here recently trying to plan a trip for the summer and I think we're almost there. Perhaps some of the experts would be willing to offer any suggestions that would improve my itinerary or let me know if there are any obvious flaws. We will be travelling in August which is not ideal as I understand some places will be pretty busy but that is the only time we can go! Here goes?..

Arrive Athens. 30th July. 6.30pm. Spending 2 nights in Athens. Any good advice on airport to Athens - is the Metro the best way to travel? How about the journey to the port for travelling to the islands?

Mykonos 4 nights

Naxos. 7 Nights

Ios. 3 nights

Santorini. 3 nights. Fly home from Santorini.

Does this look reasonable? Will getting ferries at the weekend be problematic? The ferry journeys should not be too long from what I can make out. It's our first trip to the Greek islands and I would rather not book anything and just go with the flow but as it will be in August I am trying to plan as much as possible!

Any help much appreciated, thanks

Thanks in advance

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice

That's an easy route no problem at all. You really need hotels/ferries booked as it is hi-season, if you want to free wheel then choose maybe June or Sept. just to make it easier.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for that. August is the only time we can go so we'll just need to book in advance I guess. Any advice for the best place to stay on Naxos. Somewhere close to a beautiful beach and close enough to some tavernas etc...

Should I book ferries on line beforehand?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice

search for a hotel in st.george beach,10 minutes' walk from naxos town,,which has a lot of options for tavernas..and yes,better book ferries online beforehand,as it's peak season

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice

Your plan looks Ok except you might want to head out to your first island immediately on arrival in Athens and then leave Athens to the end of your trip. It is always better to be in Athens at least a day before your return flight.

Naxos has some beautiful beaches particularly Plaka but the best option in my mind is St George beach because it is directly adjacent to Naxos town so you get a beach holiday with all the activities of town.

St George Beach Naxos

flickr.com/photos/…

Naxos Town

flickr.com/photos/…

If the beach is the most important thing then Plaka is excellent and is serviced by about 5 tavernas along a two kilometer stretch of the beach. You still have the option of going into Naxos town but will need a car, taxi or local bus.

Plaka Beach Naxos

flickr.com/photos/…

Another option would be Ag Procopios which has a good beach and a village. We only stayed there once but decided we liked the beach town scenario best.

Definitely book your hotels and ferrys in advance.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
866 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice

I think the metro to the centre of Athens and then down to Piraeus is you best bet, but it depends where you are staying. Watch your belongings.

Re your island hopping - I think that 4 days is too much and too expensive in Mykonos at the beginning of August. Reduce it by one night. If you are a party/clubber then Ios will be great for you in August - if not avoid. I suggest you stay on Paros on the way to Naxos instead and add another day or two there off your time intended 7 days on Naxos.

I think that Naxos Town and the area around Agios Georgios beach will be a bit too noisy at the beginning of August. We liked Dina's Studios in Agios Prokopios - great view over Paros and the Naxos Coast. Buses will be running to Naxos Town every 15 minutes probably in August.

I think that you need to book the accommodation that you want, and book some of the main ferry trips.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice

I don't think stanbr has not realised that you are flying home direct from Santorini, not getting a ferry back to Athens so there is no problem with the order that you doing it. Your problem will be that you will be travelling from Piraeus to Mykonos on THE busiest weekend of the year. It is essential that you book in advance and be prepared for Piraeus to be very busy and hectic. The ferries will be full so if you want a seat outside get there very early - you will be able to get on the ferries at least an hour before they sail. If you want a seat inside it will be essential to reserve one well in advance.

Travelling between the islands won't be as much of a problem. You have the option of a Blue Star Ferry from each island to the next and these will only be full from the mainland to the first island. So you can wait until you get to Greece to book these.

To travel from the airport to central Athens you can either use the metro or a bus. I think it really depends on how close your hotel in Athens is to either the bus station or a Metro station. At the airport, the bus stop is just outside the terminal building, but the Metro station is about 5 minutes walk.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 19:36
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice

Greecmad is correct I missed the fly home direct comment.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,585 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Advice

Arrivals - Athens airport:

http://tinyurl.com/a3rtoek

Airport area

http://tinyurl.com/daeq8f

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for all the kind advice. These trips take a lot of planning!

10. Re: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 06:25