We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary

Hi all,

My best friend and I are spending 24 nights in the Cyclades from 6th-30th August 2014 (We're both teachers in the UK so we don't have a choice in this!) and we have the following itinerary so far. We want to book everything in advance as we know August will be really busy but the only things we have booked so far are our flights in and out of Mykonos and our first 3 nights and last 3 nights stay in Mykonos. Just wanted to get some expert thoughts on our suggested itinerary before I go ahead and book anything else. I have done some research and so avoided the public holiday as a travel day.

Also, any recommendations of places to stay would be greatly appreciated. We want to spend around 70 euro each per night ideally.

Itinerary:

Mykonos - 3 nights

Paros - 3 nights

Ios - 4 nights

Santorini - 4 nights

Kythnos - 3 nights

Serifos - 3 nights

Paros - 1 night (due to ferry times)

Mykonos - 3 nights

It's probably clear from the itinerary that we are looking for lively nightlife but we also want a couple of places that have a bit of a slower pace. Hopefully we've managed it!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Essex
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary

Presumably you're aware that Santorini to Kythnos will be a very long ferry trip, but if you're happy with that the schedule looks OK.

You won't need the overnight stop in Paros on your way back to Mykonos. NEL have just released the complete summer schedule for Aqua Jewel and it sails from Serifos to Mykonos on Tuesdays in July and August, so you could try to add an extra night to your Mykonos hotel booking.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
949 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary

One huge drawback in this itinerary, only one connection between Santorini

and Kythnos with Nel on a Wednesday and it takes 12 hrs!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary

Yes, I do know the ferry from Santorini to Kythnos is 12 hours but we're fine with that. Thank you for the advice on the ferry from Serifos to Mykonos... that's very helpful so will definitely look to change our hotel booking in Mykonos.

Thank you both!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Essex
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary

Keep looking out for more services for the Santorini-Kythnos leg. Western Cyclades Consortium have't yet announced their summer timetable for their service linking Santorini with Sifnos and Serifos. Last year there was a Wednesday morning ferry from Santorini to Sifnos that took about 5 hours. If that's running this year you'll have the option of spending the afternoon in Sifnos and catching the 5pm ferry to Kythnos.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Cyclades
Cyclades
South Aegean, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
1,007 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary

Good suggestion - I think it is a subsidized route that is likely to run again, perhaps twice a week in the summer from Santorini to Sifnos and Athens. It may stop in Serifos and Kythnos.

I personally am not sure about Kythnos - I think that Sifnos is so much better. We have been to Serifos once and though that the accommodation was pricey and some of the food was dire. In comparison we have probably been to Sifnos 15 to 20 times - it is such a great island. Serifos seems to be for middle of the road Athenians - we never detected much liveliness - could be wrong though

My major suggestion is that you have to be very careful about booking accommodation and ferries in August. The Feast of the Assumption on August 15th is the biggest holiday in Greece. Many people will be traveling to Athens before and back after.

After Santorini, I would consider spending a few days in Anafi - it is a totally different Greece with great beaches and I am sure that you will meet lots of people there. In August there should be a great atmosphere but zero clubbing. You will either love it or ...........

Edited: 01 March 2014, 00:13
Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Serifos
Serifos
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Anafi
Anafi
Cyclades, Greece
6. Re: Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:18