We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Bombay
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic

If someone is seeking absolute seclusion and a very simple living, just blending with the Greek Life,

What islands can be done?

Are Paros,Naxos,Irakleia,Schinousa,Koufonisia good idea in January end?

Or will the Santorini, Anafi etc be quiet then?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,383 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

For solitude and blending with the Greek life Naxos can be ideal with some 30 authentic small villages around the island.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189431-c163441/Nax…

Stay a couple of nights in town while you go around to find a village that suits your demand, and check for accommodation.

Bombay
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

So, January will be ok for naxos. Right?

I was reading somewhere that some FERRIES n Shops may not be operational from Nov-Mar.

Also, would the Little Cyclades be accesible then?

Thanks

Aman

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Every inhabited island has year-round ferry service, and shops that provide essentials for the islanders remain open. If solitude is what you are after, I can't think of a better time than January.

Bombay
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Ohh. Thats fantastic then.

Also , is it a good idea to fly to either PAROS or NAXOS from Athens directly without staying over at Athens?

Since, I checked in a few TA Forums that the FLIGHT TIMINGS may change according to weather.

Thanks

Aman

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

You could fly directly to Paros or Naxos if you wish. Both islands have small airports served by Dash 8-100 turboprops, and the airline will be operating on its reduced winter schedule. I agree with greek-traveller that you should check into a hotel for a couple of nights while you are looking for somewhere more secluded.

If you decide to fly into Paros, check out Antiparos for somewhere to stay. If you are looking for a small island, that would be a better choice for January than the Little Cyclades. It's a separate island, but easy to reach the amenities on Paros if you need them. Antiparos is reached by a 7 (yes, seven) minute ferry from Pounta on Paros. Pounta is 15 minutes by bus from Parikia, the Paros port. Antiparos is very quiet in winter, but there is always somewhere open to eat and sleep.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,383 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Naxos has an all year around population and has all kind of facilities open in town.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

'Also, would the Little Cyclades be accesible then?'

Yes, the Express Skopelitis runs all year and is indeed running today when others are not due to some dispute.

marinetraffic.com/en/…EXPRESS_SKOPELITIS

Bombay
Level Contributor
78 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Thank you all.

Another thing is, have anybody been to those places around end of JAN to FEB.

What do you mean by a GREEK WINTER, exactly? I am from India but have experienced the coldness of THE HIMALAYAS a lot of times.

Would someone tell me whether the water would be icy cold or bearable?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,383 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Usually it will be bearable. If you settle for a village high up in the mountains you may experience a more chilly climate and occasional snow at the worst of times, but otherwise you should find nice conditions.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is January end a good time to VISIT Cyclades for SOLITUDE?

Take a look at my pictures taken in Januray this year. You may see we had rain and sun, wind and calm. In the beginning of January is a period called the "Halcyon days" which is normally warmer and and more calm than else. I have experienced snow in Naxos, but that was later in the year, beginning of March.

https:/… The first picture in the set is from before we left home. as you see, Naxos in January is green, green , green and flowers. The day with a "crowd" in the port was after the ferry had arrived bringing football fans for a match between the island team and one of the major Athenian teams.