We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milos or Naxos after Santorini end of July?

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milos or Naxos after Santorini end of July?

Our family (with kids 11 and 14) is taking our first trip to Greece the last two weeks of July. We’ll be going to Skopelos for the first week, then to the Cyclades for the second week. We’d like to go to Santorini for 2-3 days, then either Milos or Naxos for 3-4 days before returning to Athens. We’re leaning towards Milos because the scenery looks spectacular and different, plus it’s smaller than Naxos. Since we only have a few days, it seems more do-able than Naxos (we’ll rent a car regardless). We want to explore a few beaches, do some snorkeling, kayaking, hiking. I have some questions related to which island to pick:

1) I know we’re going at the height of tourist season but would either Milos or Naxos be quieter (relatively)?

2) As far as traveling between islands, I read several older posts on this forum that said Naxos is preferable in combination with Santorini because they’re on the same ferry route. Is that still the recommendation or is it easier to travel between Santorini and Milos these days? According to the ferry schedules, there are 3 ferries from Santorini to Milos on the day we’re planning to travel (Tuesday).

3) Are we doing this in the best order (Athens, Santorini, Milos/Naxos, Athens) or should we go Athens, Milos/Naxos, Santorini, Athens?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milos or Naxos after Santorini end of July?

Not having traveled in high season, this is partly speculation.

1) I think Milos would be a little quieter. The geology of the beaches is indeed spectacular.

2) If I'm reading the ferry schedules right, getting from Milos to Santorini is more convenient than the reverse. I'd rather get into port around noon than in the evening.

3)For that reason, I'd fly to Milos and then ferry to Santorini.

If you opt for Naxos instead, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Milos or Naxos after Santorini end of July?

A belated thanks to Zakrosian for your reply. Since my post, we've decided definitely to go to Milos so now are looking into accommodations.

Someone else suggested that I give more details to my original question: we're going from Athens to Santorini on a Saturday, then will go to Milos Tuesday, back to Athens Friday and return home on Sunday. I'm told that more of the big cruise ships arrive in Santorini Tuesday-Thursday (I also looked at http://ports.cruisett.com as recommended on this forum). By timing our Santorini stay over the weekend instead of middle of the week, it looks like we'll miss the largest influx of cruise passengers. I hope that's a good trade-off even if we end up arriving in Milos in the evening, as Zakrosian mentions.

3. Re: Milos or Naxos after Santorini end of July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15