We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Hello everyone (sorry if there’s English mistake, English is not my first language, but I hope you will understand my request)

Anyone knows if Nel Lines is operating this summer (2014) in the Cyclades (more precisely, during July 2014).

I tried 4 times to reserve online (on their official website), and I was never able to finish the reservation. Also, I heard that there is going bankruptcy, so I am not sure if it is a good things to reserve with Nel Lines. But, we have a very restricted budget, and this ferry’s company is so much cheaper than the others, so I do not know what to do…

It would help me if someone would just tell me if there are operating or not this summer, and if it is OK to reserve with them.

Thank you very much.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,358 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Hi,

You are asking for a prediction of certainty, no one can do that. Every year some Greek ferry company disappears and maybe another company appears from the ashes, or another ferry takes over a route.

You just have to accept that and go with the flow

This is the companies website for bookings:

http://www.nel.gr/index.asp?a_id=104

Always have a plan B in mind, often this will cost more as you may have to use more expensive fast ferries.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Thanks Retired_Hippy for your answer,

But, what do you suggest as a Plan B ?

I mean, should I reserve with Nel Lines and, as a Plan B, I would plan to buy another ticket when I will be in Greece?

And second, I already tried to book on http://www.nel.gr/index.asp?a_id=104, and when I entered my credit card number, I can’t go any further… I don’t know why and I tried 4 times (and nothing was charged on my credit card, and I never received any confirmation number). Someone had the same problem? What is the alternative? Is it because they are going bankruptcy?

Thanks again.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Well they're certainly operating at the moment, I can see one of their ships on Marine Traffic , which gives real time positions of boats. As RH says no one can foresee the future (especially Greek economics), but as their Cyclades ferries are the larger tradition types I wouldn't have thought you don't need to book in advance. Again as suggested above, it's pretty easy to keep your plans flexible in the Cyclades.

And watch www.gtp/gr for the schedules.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Thanks BridgnorthSnaps :)

I will check your website !!

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

NEL Lines ferries serve routes that are not very popular so I don't think they are ever full. They certainly will not be full very far in advance. If you really want to book, I would wait until about 2 weeks before you go and then you will be more certain that they will still be in business.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,286 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

If anyone knows of a NEL ferry ever being full, I would like to hear about it. Most people just buy their ferry tickets in Greece rather than booking over the internet. I would (as I always do) wait until getting to Greece to buy the tickets. In the unlikely event NEL goes bust between now and July, another ferry company will take over its lifeline routes.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

I didn't risk saying they were definitely never full as I've never travelled on them in July or early August and I haven't covered the whole of their routes.

I've never bought tickets in advance for any ferry other than Blue Star and very rarely on them.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 23:29
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,358 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Hi,

I don't know where you are going, so again cannot be specific. Plan B may include going another day, different ferry, going through an intermediate island, maybe staying on another island, and so forth.

I obviously can't help with Credit Card etc. It could be the Website, or your Web Browser settings, or they are just not taking bookings yet.

I have always bought tickets on the spot in the islands no problem, but I don't go in July/August.

NEL ferries can get full on certain parts of their route if in the central Cyclades. But almost empty starting from their terminal islands like Syros, Anafi.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 01:02
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

Thanks for your answer everyone :)

Edited: 04 May 2014, 14:49
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NEL Lines ferry’s operating? (summer 2014 in the Cyclades)

I think I will buy my ticket on http://www.ferries.gr like 2-3 weeks in advance and hope that they will still operate when I will be there. The reason why I want to reserve with them and not take another ferry is that there are so much cheaper than the others, and I have a little budget, and I do not mind taking longer trip between islands.