We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

Two young folk here. Via Ryanair we can fly either into Crete, Kos, or Rhodes. Then we hope to take a ferry to one of the Cyclades islands.

We are pretty easy going, beaches, nice towns, natural scenery, some culture. (Eating, beaching, walking around towns or nature is what we plan to do). What would you recommend - we were thinking going into Crete, then .. to which Cyclades island?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

A bit more info - we have about 8 or 9 days in total. My friend suggested Paros for beaches. Santorini sounds like a nice all rounder too. But if it came down to it we would choose a nice little town and beaches over the crowds. Heard Naxos has a lot of attractions too? (Basically clueless here).

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

I did a lot of research and am yet to travel but decided Naxos was my first preference with a few days on Paros as a contrast. As I say, I am yet to travel but what attracted me was the better value to be had at both of these islands, as nearby Mykonos & Santorini are much more expensive options. Naxos & Paros seem to offer a good variety too. Ryanair also do Athens, so you could access the Cyclades from there or make your way home etc.

I also suggest investigating travel options/ferries/Aegean airlines very thoroughly as this will limit or open your options. I read a great deal on here with posters under estimating travel times and not really appreciating the vastness of the area. Happy planning!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,019 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

I should also add, you could be more than happyon somewhere like Kos for your full 8 or 9 days. Great old town, lovely restaurants, it's very quaint. You can add a day trip to Bodrum, Turkey and/or nearby Kalymnos etc. You could do a lot worse! I really enjoyed Kos when I went there.

Edited: 21 May 2014, 13:33
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,912 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

Where are you flying from to get to Crete, Kos or Rhodes? None of those are good places to arrive if you want to get to the Cyclades. You would be better flying into Santorini, Mykonos or Athens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

We are flying from London. Sure, we could go to Kos for the whole time. Flying direct into Crete, Kos or Rhodes just have a better ticket price! The goal doesn't have to be the Cyclades, just to pick a location or two for 8 days! Will look into the ferries.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

If you decide to go to an island such as Naxos you need to take into account the ferry fares when deciding whether the cheaper flights will save you much money - a return journey by ferry from Crete to Naxos will cost almost a hundred euros more than a return journey from Mykonos or Santorini to Naxos and 60 or 70 euros more than a return journey from Athens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

Point taken, though I will be travelling onwards though to meet a friend in Ios. I will do ferry price research. The main question here though, is which island you might recommend that would be nice, on the way to Ios? Alternatively, yes, I could fly into Athens and go straight to the Cyclades from there, instead of from Crete or Kos.

8. Re: Crete then Paros or Naxos or Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 05:16