We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

Hi,

Me and a couple of friends are planning a holiday for 2 weeks at the end of August/beginning of September.

We are students so are looking to keep it as cheap as possible, we'll most likely stay in hostels.

We are wanting to visit 3-4 Islands but can't decide which so I'm looking for recommendations.

We are looking for a good mix of culture, nice beaches and bars. We like to go out but aren't major party people so we would much prefer nice bars than nightclubs.

A couple of us horseride so any recommendations of good treks would be good.

Also is it best to prebook ferries between islands before we go?

Thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

I'll be going in October so my choice was more limited. That said, after research I chose Naxos & Paros. In season you could add Antiparos too. Seems to me that these islands are considerably cheaper than Mykonos & Santorini but with a lot to offer. I'm sure others will comment but I see little point in hours & hours on ferries when there are closer alternatives. Naxos is mountainous from what I have learnt and offers a great variety including good beaches, which are more relevant to you going in the main season.

HAPPY PLANNING!

Edited: 24 June 2014, 14:36
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

naxos info here

mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

naxos has indeed the fame of being considerably cheaper than mykonos and santorini..ios is another cheap alternative,also in cyclades..by september it's going to be more quiet..

start researching these islands and definitely add some days in paros (not so cheap) and antiparos (small but interesting,has a 10 minute's ferry connection with paros only) if you have extra days. milos is another option

first you have to find a ferry schedule that suits you,and based on that decide which of these islands.

ferry schedules here,at the ''search for a trip'' section at the right..click on the blue button to confirm

http://www.openseas.gr/openseas/index.html

a rental car is suggested in the islands,it gives you great independence

Edited: 24 June 2014, 15:22
3. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 12:05
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,895 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

Hi,

Many years ago my first island hopping trip was to Paros, Naxos, Ios. In those days UK flights were to Athens but now you can do the same by flying to/from Mykonos and Santorini and taking the first ferry out.

Island accommodation is 'Rooms for rent' and small hotels you see signs everywhere, hostels as such are almost non-existent. If there is three of you a room for rent would be good value. There's tons in every place on each island

Maybe move to a week later as prices drop in early September. Ferries for those 3 islands are so simple like 3-4 ferries per day no need for any master plan or to book ferries, just go on the fly.

Culture, er no, there's none of that....but plenty of beaches, sunshine and bars.

Recommend islands with no reference to reasonably regular ferry routes can land you with a complex plan.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

Basic accommodation in the islands after August 25/28th gets cheaper and cheaper as the islands empty. Have a look in Hostelbookers.com to see if they have anything really cheap but good. Naxos and then as September starts will have the cheapest accommodation, generally.

6. Re: Cyclades for 2 weeks recommendations please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17