We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

West Midlands
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Arrived in Irakleia today and it's really, really windy so no chance of going to the beach.

If it's the same tomorrow, I was thinking of walking up to Panagia.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long it will take?

Thanks.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

First of all, take a look at he map on display at some of the tavernas close to the port-beach. You find a very nice marked trail starting at the church Agios Ioannis, towards Agios Athanissos. The path is marked with numbers and a sign pointing to the Ag Ioannis cave. Further on is a trail crossing the hillside to Pano Chorio. Expect to use a couple of hours, possibly plus a little. We walked the main asphalt down again, a rather dull road with a few nice shortcuts on old donkey roads. Above the Livadi beach are the ruins of the old Livadi Castle. Maybe not very much to look at, but in a day without beach-weather it may be ok.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Thank you for the advice. I just need to mention that I am completely useless with directions, even if I look at the map. Is it quite clearly marked once you get underway?

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Sorry to hear about the wind. I suggest it is easier just to follow the tarmac road. When they built these roads they were not concerned with preserving old paths.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

When we stayed on Iraklia we walked to Panayia on the road. It was in 2010 so I can't remember how long it took now but it was very straightforward with hardly any traffic. The following day we walked to the cave of Ayios Ioannis and I know that took over 2 hours because I made a note of it in my journal, Panayia was definitely a lot less. There were some lovely views on the walk to the cave but I do remember that walk being hard work!

I really liked Iraklia and would love to go back.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Thanks for the information. I'm just about to set off & have decided to take the road.

Gemma - you may remember that I messaged you earlier in the year about Schinoussa. I loved it there & I'm not really feeling it for Irakeia at the minute but that's purely because it's so windy, it's quite off putting (reportedly gusts of over 80 kms/hr last night).

The forecast is for less wind over the next couple of days and so hopefully I'll be able to get a better feel for the place and be able to make a more informed comparison as my opinion would be biased at the moment.

Thanks again to all for the replies.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,716 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Glad you enjoyed Schinoussa.Lynn - presumably the road is finished now and there are no longer cement mixes trundling through the village lol. Hope Iraklia grows on you and you enjoy your stay :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Many years ago I stood by the big beach (not the one at the port) and thumbed a lift up to Panagia and sat in the back of a truck. I walked back down. Thumbing a lift is the norm in remote areas of Greece that don't have a bus service. Walking around Schinousa I have been offered lifts by passing motorists.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
71 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

I can confirm the walk took about 45 minutes. Although the wind was not as bad yesterday, it was still present but was actually quite refreshing when walking. I was rewarded for the effort with a lovely Greek salad and bottle of Mythos at the taverna in Panagia. The view from there was amazing but unfortunately the transparent shutters were down because of the weather and this slightly obscured it.

I walked a lot on Schinoussa last week and there were a few times on solitary roads when a vehicle passed and I wondered if I might get offered a lift. No one did - maybe they just didn't like the look of me!

Milano
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

Me too :)

10. Re: Iraklia - walk from the port to Panagia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2015, 05:17