We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry in mid October - Q's

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
809 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry in mid October - Q's

I am trying to get info on booking the following:

13 October - from Santorini to Mykonos

16 October - from Mykonos to Athens

I used http://www.openseas.gr/ and see that on 13 October, there is only 1 ferry showing service on SeaJet.

On 16 October I see 1 ferry to Piraeus on Blue Star and 3 to Rafina on Fast Ferries [2] and Golden Star[1]. Schedule wise, I prefer the Fast Ferries departure times over Gold Star.

3 questions:

1.Will more ferry show up on the schedule closer to dates of travel? If so, when? OR are these likely to be the only ferries due to it being past prime season? If there will be other ferries, how far out will they show up in schedule - 60 days?

2. Do I need to book now or can I wait until we are in Santorini and Mykonos? I have read some not so favorable posts here about Sea Jet but if they are the only ones doing the ferry in October, I guess there isn't a choice.

3. Ticket class - is the extra 5 euros or so per ticket worth the cost for better ticket? I will need 2 tickets.

Thanks in advance for you help figuring this out.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry in mid October - Q's

The main point is you are booking far too early for October. The ferry situation is likely to be the same, fast ferries are run down by October.

Mykonos > Piraeus. You may not like this but the slower Bluestar ferry at 14:15 is standard, reliable, comfortable, large and keeps to time and runs all year. If you are staying Athens more convenient than arriving in Rafina.

You may want to Arrive in Rafina if you want the airport directly. In which case the early morning Theologos P maybe of interest.

It is entirely up to you what you choose. Seajet 2 shows schedules to Piraeus, and Superjet to Rafina, but they seem to be messing around with schedules, some appear not to be available to book.

Santorini > Mykonos. There maybe possibly be a Hellenic Seaways catamaran to add to that Seajets. That will be it for that route it is summer only.

I always buy the cheapest ferry ticket. the trivialities you get with higher priced tickets never seem worth it.

Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry in mid October - Q's

Whatever you decide, dont book any ferries in advance. In October they will never be more than half full anyway. Wait until the day before your travel and have a look at the weather forecast. The big ferries may be slower (Blue Star 25 knots instead of the Sea Jet 35 knots on calm water), but they are reliable and sails on schedule. You will always find a ticket office. If you pre-book you have to find THE correct ticket office to collect your paper ticket.

To get an idea of Mykonos and Santorini out of season, take a look at google.maps, street view.

3. Re: Ferry in mid October - Q's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16