We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

Hello.

We need to go to naxos from santorini on 31 August.

Can we just go to the ferry and get tickets that day? Or shall I book now ?

Thank you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

Of the available ferries that day I would go on Highspeed 5 or Blue Star Delos. Blue Star Delos will never be full from Santorini to Naxos even in the peak season as it picks up a lot of passengers at Naxos and Paros. I think you will probably be able to buy tickets on the Highspeed 5 when you get there as well but this is not guaranteed. If you want to go on the Highspeed 5 because it is earlier, you could risk buying tickets on the Highspeed 5 when you arrive then if it does happen to be full you can always get the later Blue Star Delos.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

Thank you.

We will be in santorini for 3 days. Rather than booking tickets now from NY, it appears from other posts that I can buy them a few days in advance while on santorini?

The other posts are not regarding August though- do you think we'll be ok with this plan?

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

If you are in Santorini for 3 days I think you would be OK buying tickets after arriving on Santorini. You will be able to buy them at various travel agencies that you will find - certainly in Fira but maybe in other places as well. So you needn't go to the port just to buy tickets. Since you are staying on Santorini you will not be trying to get the first boat after arriving by plane, so I would suggest that you use the Blue Star Delos. You will have a much more pleasant journey watching the scenery from the deck of a ship than sat inside a catamaran, and it will be cheaper. Also with the Blue Star it certainly won't be full so there is no urgency to buy your tickets as soon as you arrive - just buy them when it is convenient.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

On Openseas you can see what classes or accommodation are still available for booking. I've just looked at the 3 ferries from Santorini to Naxos tomorrow and they all have all classes still available.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

Thanks again

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,840 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

It is peak season on a weekend and going the Piraeus direction thus there is a possibility the Delos maybe fully booked.

There are 5 ferries that day so you would be very unlikely to be stuck for a ferry if you bought tickets whilst on Santorini.

Future predictions cannot be 100% accurate, it is just an estimate.

You are on Santorini for 3 days so you can buy ferry tickets in the agencies in Fira town main square which you will undoubtedly pass through at some point.

I would not leave it until an hour before departure down at Athinios the port, the Delos is the last ferry on the day.

7. Re: Must I book a ferry from santorini to Naxos in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:16