We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

London
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

Hi there!

I am going to visit Amorgos in August. I was thinking to stay at the camping at Aegiali. I have the following questions:

1) Is Aegiali camping nice i.e quiet, showers OK, lots of good places to put our tent etc?

2) Which part of Amorgos island is better in terms of night life Aegiali, Katapola or Chora?

3) Is a bus from Aegiali to Chora available 24/7? If not do they have taxis for night travel (ex after going out).

4) Do they have an ATM in Aegiali?

Thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

1) Never stayed there.

2) Don't go to Amorgos for nightlife, the liveliest places as such would be Katapola and Aegiali.

3) No, the bus services runs a few times a day, not evening or night.

4) Yes there is one ATM.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

I haven't stayed on the campsite but had a look at it in May. There was ample shady areas to pitch tents & a man I met (who was the only person camping there at that time) said that the facilities were ok.

However August will be a different matter & the campsite will probable be crowded. There is very few quiet places on any of the islands in August. The campsite is coveniently placed beside the road from Aegiali to Tholaria village for the beach & tavernas etc.

There will be more going on in Katapola as it has many more restaurants / shops than Aegiali.

I prefer staying in Aegiali where you can visit the villages of Tholaria & Langada & walk back down to Aegiali at dusk.

If you want to spend nights in the Chora then you would be better off staying at Katapola as it is much nearer to the Chora than Aegiali & the taxis tend to be quite expensive on Amorgos.

The bus service is not particularly tourist friendly & only runs till early evening, apart from a bus down from Tholaria at around 9.15pm.

There are ATM's in Aegiali, Chora & Katapola.

ATHENS
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

Hello! I have just returned from Aegiali and I would like to say a few things about the camping and the island in general.

My husband and I stayed at the camping from the 3rd of August to the 9th of August. I don't know what it's like there earlier in the summer, but during that period it was extremely crowded! We had to wait 20-30 minutes daily in order to use the showers or the WC! The owners were kinda rude and unproffesional. They knew that there was no more room but they kept letting more and more people in, because they didn't want to lose their profit. This led to horrible living conditions inside the campsite. All the good shady spots were taken, so people started setting their tents on the corridors, right outside the bathrooms and anywhere else they could find! The tents were EXTREMELY close to one another (10 cm maximum distance !!!) and last but not least, it was extremely loud in there! So many people taking, laughing and shouting even at 04:30 in the morning (!!) without the slightest respect for the people in the tent next to them, who were trying to sleep. I am very disappointed in Aegiali Camping because judging from its internet site I had imagined it differently.

Amorgos is a very beautiful island. Aegiali has 3-4 trendy bars which stay open until dawn, coffee shops and taverns. You should definately visit "VEGERA" and try its delicious chocolate cheesecake! Great food at traditional taverns in Tholaria and Lagada. There is an ATM and taxis for your transportation.

Amorgos is an island worth visiting. However, my personal opinion is that you should stay in a hotel or a room and not in the Aegiali Camping.

Amorgos Greece
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

1) Katapola camping is much bigger.

2) Night life is better in Aegiali,katapola and Hora

katapola is closer to hora

3) Bus at August is available until 00:30

you can find a taxi (a bit expensive) but you can also rent a car / scooter

4) ATM's are at Hora,Katapola,Aegiali

at Katapola there is a bank

5. Re: Amorgos - Camping, night life, travel, ATM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:17