We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to the small cicliades

Lisboa
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to the small cicliades

Hi I am restructuring my plans for my august island hoping.

Hi have 17 days. There are 2 islands I would realy want to visite:serifos and amorgos...

Other 2 I would go if is convinient: folegandros and koufonissia.

All this mixed with some day in 1 or 2 islands I know very well and had visited several times: santorini and paros.

I have been working out the ferry and fligths schedules, minimizing my time in ahtens, etc... and I kwow that I will have to give up koufonissia, and maybe folegandros (not sure yet).

I will spend 5 or 6 nights in amorgos (either at the beguining or at the end of the journey).

So I question, is it easy to do a day trip to koufonissia, or any other of the small cicliades?

If so is beter to use aegeali or katapola?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

Not many taxis in Aegali. Where do u want to go? with 2 little ones, in small islands, don't u prtty much stay put the whole time? I guess you could rent a car for a day if you wanted to go see the other part(s) of the island & up to Chora and to the famous monastery in the cliffside ... but be awre the roads are very twisty; a mountain separates Aegali & Katapola. Makes for dramatic views but steering-wheel jitters.

I think Diana may already have left athens for a few days ...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

The roads are not too bad. Taxis are scarce though, much better to rent a car, I agree.

On Nikouria and Gramvoussa there is absolutely nothing, no umbrellas, no kiosk, only wild goat. However, it is very wise to purchase an umbrella in Amorgos in order to be able to enjoy some of its wonderful beaches.

On my way to the Cyclades now...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

I highly recommend renting a car for a day to drive from Aegiali to other parts of the island. The road from Aegiali to Katapola is fine, as is the road from Chora to the monastery. Actually, all the roads we drove were in great condition, and I found it fun to drive around the island even though I had to keep my eyes on the road rather than the scenery. (I just made sure to stop at safe pullover spots along the road to take in the views -- there are plenty of places to do that.)

I have only one word of caution about driving in Amorgos: goats. Twice I drove around sharp bends in the highway to find a goat sitting or standing in the middle of the road. Luckily I wasn't driving fast so I didn't have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting the goats. And on the stretch of highway overlooking Nikouria island, we encountered a herd of dozens and dozens of goats walking along the road towards us. The goats are familiar with highway traffic, though. I slowed to a stop, and was amazed to watch as the goats all began moving over to the sides of the roadway to make room for us to pass!

Your kids might enjoy a road trip, especially if they get to see goats along the way (we saw dozens of them standing on precarious ledges above the highway and in many unexpected places all along the roadside).

It might not be much fun taking the kids through Chora and to the monastery, in particular though -- to reach the monastery, there's lots of steps to climb, but you can always drive as far as the parking lot and see the monastery from there. And you certainly don't have to walk up and down every street and alley in Chora to get a good feel for the village. Down in Katapola there's plenty of harbourside tavernas where you could stop for refreshments and watch boats in the bay.

You don't even need a whole day to drive to Chora, the monastery, Katapola and back -- you can do it in an afternoon. The distances aren't very substantial. Even if you used the car only part of the day, I think you and the kids would enjoy seeing more of Amorgos.

To give you an idea of what you would see, here's a link to photos we took during the afternoon we rented a car in May: http://tinyurl.com/owhank

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

yes donnyb, there are wild goats everywhere, hurdled in little crevices in the mountain, almost invisible unless you focus...walking freely on teh road, roaming wildy on Nikouria and Gramvoussa...so...as you may realise, one of the island's specialties is wild goat..patatato {wild goat with potatoes..}

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

The patatato was delicious, Diana! You had recommended we try that when we were in Amorgos, and we were glad we did ... a wonderful meal at the Kamara Cafe we still keep talking about!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

Glad you enjoyed it donny. The sunset there is also one of its highlights too!!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

Which we enjoyed three times, one of which was one of the most spectacular sunsets we have ever seen in Greece!

Lisboa
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

Thanks travelerjan,

Even with 2 kids we are used to move a lot. I've been in syros, tinos am mykonos, for 8 days in june, and we rented a car for almost all the time and tried a diferent beach every day.

The only thinh I have to avoid are long journeys. Every leg must be shorter than 30 minutes...

Lisboa
Level Contributor
127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

Thanks donnyb and dianabiz,

I would like to visit the monastery, chora, and some other beaches other than aegiali. And, of course I have to drive from Aegiali to Katapola for my ferry to Santorini.

So I was asking because, if its just for, say, 1 hop to the monastary and 1 ride to chora, it might be cheaper to go by taxi.

The problem is that if taxis are scarce that might ruin my plans. Especially my return to katapola on the last day.

30. Re: Day trips to the small cicliades

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2010, 05:16