We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

Den Haag
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

Any suggestions how to get to Amorgos island from Athens with a small child? Thanks.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

You can take a ferry (Blue Star Ferries, Seajets) from Piraeus, or fly to Naxos (Olympic Air) and take a ferry from there - apart from the mentioned above you will also have Express Skopelitis and NEL Lines ANEK Artemis.

You can check timetables on

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Note that not all summer timetables are out yet.

One more option -probably the fastest one - fly to Astypalaia and take the Blue Star ferry from there but bear in mind that that they do not run everyday and also, they depart very early in the morning around 5am.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 12:34
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

Well, by fastest I meant time spent in transit but the flights will not sync with the ferries so you have to factor in a night in Astypalaia.

Den Haag
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

We were there 7 years ago and there was a catamaran ferry from Lavrio. Still existing?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

I;ve never heard of it. The only catamaran that runs to Amorgos is the Seajets Superjet from Piraeus and only in high season.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 12:51
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

To me easiest means a ferry straight to Amorgos with no transfers. Blue Star has a ferry departing Piraeus at 1730 and arriving on Amorgos around 0200 the next morning. It alternates between the ports of Egiali and Katapola. For a more convenient arrival time I would choose the 0730 Blue Star from Piraeus with a transfer to Express Skopelitis at Naxos.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,675 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

Hi,

The easiest way these days is the daily Bluestar ferry about 07:30 Piraeus > Naxos, then at 14:00 the 'Express Skopelitis' Naxos > Amorgos.

Not the quickest, but an easy option except Sunday when you may have to take the 'Superjet' or NEL/ANEK ferry instead of the 'Express Skopelitis' which is a different route on Sunday.

An alternative is a Bluestar ferry at 17:30 direct to Amorgos but it arrives around 01:00 on Amorgos so not ideal, an option as it were. Alternate days to Aegiali or Katapola.

The 'Superjet' goes some days at 07:00 from Piraeus > Katapola if you can stand that for 6 hours.

Golly i'm getting slow, 25 min to write that....

Not Lavrion now.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 13:41
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

I suppose it depends upon when you arrive in Athens. If early enough for the 0730 Blue Star, that would be my choice. If you can't make that ferry, then your options are the 1730 Blue Star or wait until the next morning for the 0730.

8. Re: The easiest way to get to Amorgos from mainland Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 06:15