We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Amorgos

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Amorgos

Thinking about a Oct. stay in Amorgos and didn't find anything from Piraeus. Looks like the best thing is a ferry to Naxos and/or Paros then to Amorgos. Anyone have experience with getting to Amorgos from Naxos and/or Paros, such as daily ferry.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

Hi,

There will be a service between Piraeus and Amorgos then, even if it is not a daily one. On October 10, I found a ferry which departs Piraeus at 17.30 arriving at Katapola at 02.00.

Essex
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

Blue Star Paros is scheduled to sail from Piraeus to Naxos 6 evenings a week in October - Monday/Wednesday/Thursday to Aegiali andSunday/Tuesday/Friday to Katapola. Timetables can be seen at www.bluestarferries.com/site/content.asp…

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

OK . . . I'll look into it. I know it's still early but like to get an idea of how easy/hard it would be to get to Amorgos.

Thanks

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

Just did a search for a ferry for arrival to Katapolo on Oct. 5 and depart Oct. 12. Ferry leaves Piraeus at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) and arrives at 2:50 (morning!) and leaves Katapolo at 6 (morning!) and arrives at Piraeus at 15:00 (3 p.m.) Apparently it's about 9 hours and costs 67 euros. The price is right but the departure times & arrival times may be a problem, plus 9 hours on a ferry!

Essex
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

The morning Blue Star to Naxos followed by the Skopelitis to Amorgos would give a better arrival time and will probably be a little cheaper, but the Skopelitis doesn't run on Sundays. NEL provide a morning service from Syros, Paros and Naxos to Amorgos once a week, usually on a Monday, so if that's running as expected you could spend the Sunday night on one of those islands.

You're going to be stuck with a 6 or 7am departure from Amorgos unless you're travelling on the day the NEL service is running. The only ferries from Amorgos that don't leave early in the morning are that NEL service and catamarans that run only in the summer.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 19:06
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

Hi,

It isn't the easiest island to get to but by no means is it the most difficult. When I arrived there in late September a few years ago I was met by people offering rooms at 2 am in the morning ! Since you have taken a liking to Hydra I am pretty sure that you will take to Amorgos. Good luck with the planning.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

I ended up in Amorgos last spring because it was so easy to get to from Naxos. The Skopelitis left in mid-afternoon and got in to Katapola a couple hours later. It left early and got back to Naxos around noon or so.

If you can fit in a couple nights in Naxos on both ends of the visit to Amorgos, it's a very relaxed schedule (I know you've been to Naxos, but it's one of those islands I try to fit in to all of my trips if I can).

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
866 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

Note that the ferry to Aegiali is more direct - and it arrives before 2 a .m - even ealrier if it does not stop in Donoussa. Aigiali to me is a much better option to stay in than Katapola. The ferry back from there also leaves at 6.55 rather than the 6.00 start from Katapola.

Amorgos is a great island

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

OK on the ferries. I'll have to do more research and figuring on timing of ferries and whether to go to Naxos for a day then to Amorgos. I was in Naxos last Oct. and loved but I think a direct ferry may be the best option for me. Just a matter of dealing with morning travel and the L-O-N-G ferry trip. I'll start another thread as for accommodations and length of stay on Amorgos.

Thanks!

10. Re: Ferry to Amorgos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 04:24