We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

"IF" I go to Amorgos there appears to be three good options to base my stay . . . Chora, Katapola, or Aegiali. I got a good offer at the Pano Gitonia just outside of Aegiali for the Old Bakery Studio. Where would the best town be to base my stay and suggestions for accommodations for budget minded traveler?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,480 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

Hi,

There are basically two easy options, Katapola and Aegiali. Chora is close enough to Katapola. If you want it really quiet I guess Chora might be a choice.

On a first visit (30 years ago) I stayed in both, you can almost consider them separate areas, they were that many years ago when the road was not good.

You get plenty of room offers at Katapola port for there as well as for Egiali.

The place you mention is way up the hill at Potamos which is rather away from Egiali centre, very steep hill, would not be my choice as there is plenty of decent budget accommodation much more conveniently in Egiali itself.

In Katapola there are plenty of rooms for rent, some is around the bay a bit which again is not so convenient.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
817 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

Where you stay really depends on what you are interested in.

If you stay in Katapola there are beaches close by and a regular bus service to Chora.

Chora itself is quieter but a very beautiful town with some spectacular views and do

not miss the monastery of Hozioviotissa.

We normally stay in Aegiali which is set more or less on the beach.

There is plenty of budget accommodation in all and owners meet all ferries even

late in the night early morning.

You could quite easily split your holiday between both ends of the island.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

I stayed in Katapola, but only because that's where the ferry docked. I thought the town was great, but I have been equally happy in Aegali, which has a better town beach. I thought the Pension Amorgos was an excellent hotel; right on the water and the owner did my laundry on my last day. Only downside is that it's right at the ferry dock, so I didn't need an alarm clock to get up early.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

Forgot to include the link:

www.pension-amorgos.com/index.php…

5. Re: Best Town for a Stay & Accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19