We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Code for Monastery

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Code for Monastery

Dress code calls for covered arms and legs. Women in pants should also wear a wrap around the middle. Does a dress with short sleeves and covering the knee fit the bill? Or are they looking for long shirt sleeves and long pants? Thanks!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

Hi wanderlust.

Your dress seems fine although a lot of ladies (including my wife) take a pashmina to cover arms and sometimes head.

Bob

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

Just looked at a photo I snapped back in 2009 of a notice at the monastery providing information about visiting hours and the dress code.

It reads: "Visitors are kindly requested to be decently dressed (no shorts, no miniskirts, no trousers for women."

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

Thanks, guys. So a skirt with pashmina should work for the girls, and it sounds like hubby should wear trousers (the zip off kind). Do you recall whether the men wear long sleeved shirts, or can he get away with a golf style shirt? Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

We were wearing shorts the day we visited the monastery, but brought along track pants which we pulled on over top our shorts prior to entering the monastery. My partner was wearing a polo-style shirt while I was wearing a T-shirt, both of which of course had short sleeves. No complaints from the monks! Men wearing shorts, even if they extended well below the knee, were turned away. I don't recall any of the visitors wearing long sleeves that day.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

Excellent - then we are set for our big adventure. Thanks very much!

Trondheim
Level Contributor
12 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

What about children? Are they allowed to wear shorts?

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

Matt Barrett's website mentions that children are included in the dress restrictions.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

We just returned from our trip, and the visit to the monastery was wonderful. At the entrance, there was a fence covered with different types of clothing that people could borrow to enter, which was a good thing as many people climbing the steps had on shorts and sleeveless shirts. But I wouldn't take the chance that the clothing will always be there. It would be a shame to miss such a treasure and being served refreshments by the monk.

9. Re: Dress Code for Monastery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 07:16