We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see beaches and view points to visit

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Must see beaches and view points to visit

We arrive in the evening and will then have 4 full days in mid September + leave on Aqua Jewel at 4.30pm. Can some of you who know Antiparos well make some suggestions of what you consider are the highlights that we should see or experience.

We would like to do one of the full day boat trips around the island. We would also like to look around the town, wander the streets, enjoy dinner & wine at tavernas, swim and relax on the beach, walk and explore different coves, tracks and viewpoints etc. There seem to be so many different beaches to visit that it is hard for a first time visitor to know which to choose. I guess we would walk to Psaraliki 1 & 2 and Panagia and spend a day between them? Go to Sunset Beach, just for the afternoon and sunset? Should we spend a day at A Georgios and Vathis Volos? What about Soros, Sostis, Faneromeni?

As it is no longer peak season, how frequent are the buses to and from Antiparos town to Soros and A. Georgios etc?

Can the experts out there share some thoughts on which bays and beaches we should or could realistically include. We would enjoy a mix of organized (maybe a sunbed & being able to buy lunch sometimes) and peaceful where nothing is provided. We can be self sufficient and carry our water & lunch etc if need be. Thanks.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Psaraliki 1 & 2 are the main beaches on Antiparos. Fanari Beach Bar is located between the two, and is a nice place for lunch or drinks. Panagia is about 20 minutes walk from Psaraliki 2 on a rough trail that runs along the coast. You will walk past a few small coves (just large enough for one couple each) on the way. You can also reach Panagia by road, but the path is fine even if you are wearing sandals. Panagia is a small sandy beach with tamarisk trees for shade, and an old stone wall that makes a good windbreak.

To the north of town is the clothing-optional camping beach and another small cove right next to it. From there you can wade/swim the short distance across to the Diplo islet. Bring sandals and you can walk around a completely uninhabited (except for sheep and goats) island. It's not a good beach for windy days. The small island opposite acts as a breakwater, but wind whistles right over the top.

Not many people swim at Sunset Beach, but it has a nice taverna where you can go for a drink (at ordinary prices) and watch the sun dip into the sea.

There will be enough buses to Soros and Agios Giorgios for you to spend an afternoon at one of those beaches. Buses leave from the stop between the main dock and the one for the Pounta ferry. The bus schedule is hand written on a whiteboard next to the stop. There is also a special bus taking visitors to the stalactite cave. Best thing, though, is to hire a car for a day from one of the agencies along the harbour. That way you can thoroughly explore the southern end of the island, which is very beautiful.

Antiparos Town has a pedestrian-only main street that runs from the habour to the kastro (castle) square. You can walk inside the kastro and see where people still live in apartments built into the walls.

I enjoy long breakfasts in one of the cafes on the main street. It's also nice to stroll around in the evenings, looking in the shops and stopping for a drink. There are many nice tavernas and restaurants on Antiparos. A good list is the one by andyurq in post #10 at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189425-i10137-k… . Of these, my favourite is Yorgis Taverna, which has good food, is run by a wonderful family, and has the best position on the main street.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Not much more can be added to Heimdalls excellent response so I will just show you what he was describing.

Antiparos

flickr.com/photos/…

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Stanbr is an excellent photographer, and has captured the beauty of Antiparos. My photos don't compare, but here are a few I have uploaded: flickr.com/photos/… . The last four are of the kastro and Ekatontapiliani Church on Paros.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Hey Heimdall I hadn't seen your pictures before. They really capture the essence of the island. well done.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Thanks, stanbr! A little correction to my previous post, though: the last 11 photos in the set are of Paros. The little figurine and vase were discovered during excavations on Despotiko, the uninhabited island to the south of Antiparos, just opposite Agios Giorgios. They are on show in the archaeological museum behind Ekatontapiliani Church. The last two photos were actors in a film being shot in Naoussa.

Excavations continue on Despotiko. If you check, it may be possible to get a boat from Agios Giorgios to visit the ruins. Some of the round-island boat trips also stop on Despotiko for barbecue lunches.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Great info thanks Heimdall and Stanbr for the good info and great photos. The photos really give me a much better idea of what to expect. I had previously seen the post regarding restaurants so that is also helpful. What is your opinion of Vathis Volos, Soros, Sostis, Faneromeni? Would we need the car the access the latter 2? Is A. Giorgios a lot better than Vathis Volos and Soros etc or would we visit them on different trips or should we consider a couple of nights at A Giorgios to access the southern areas more easily and the other 3 nites in Antiparos town for the rest?

Sorry for so many questions but so many people seem to rave about A. Giorgios but I don't think I want to spend 5 nights there on a first visit to the island. But we would be happy to spend a few nights if it means a more leisurely experience and we can better enjoy the area and to relax at their local tavernas etc without having to rush off for the bus. Would a car for 2 days be worthwhile to give us more flexibility at this time of year and to access different areas like Sostis, Faneromeni etc? Would appreciate everyone's thoughts, comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Out of Vathis Volos, Soros, Sostis, and Faneromeni, the only one I can recall visiting is Soros. I tend to stick to the beaches which can be reached on foot around Antiparos Town. There are a few other remote beaches the round-island cruise boats stop at, and some of those might be the ones you have mentioned. Occasionally I take the bus to Soros or Agios Giorgios. The island is only about 12 km from one end to the other, so with a combination of hire car and walking you can explore everything no matter where you stay.

I agree that Agios Giorgios probably isn't the best place for a first-timer to stay in mid-September. It's a beautiful area, but you would need to drive back to Antiparos Town for more variety in dining and shopping. If you stay in Antiparos Town, everything is within a few minutes walking distance, and the town is very quiet from mid-September.

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Agree with Heimdall's recommendation that you should hire a car on Antiparos - the buses are infrequent and few. Try Europcar on the harbour front, they offer a no-nonsense good value hire and even rescued us when we once had a flat tyre!

The road to Sostis from Soros is very rough and rocky - and onward to Fanoromeni is really challenging. Some fellow regular holiday makers do it on two wheels, but whatever you do don't get a quad bike ... they have no power! Some people even walk there ... but you really have to be quite fit!!

Sostis is worth the effort, Fanoromeni is OK but probably best seen from the round-the-island boat trip.

Also agree about the variety of tavernas to be found in Antiparos town. We stay at the Hotel Dolphin in St George - but most evenings we drive the 11km into the town. It suits us well, but everyone's different.

By the way, fab photos guys!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

Thank you annie.

I take it one of you must be a tea toddler. I wouldn't want to tempt fate by driving back from the town to St George after dinner. The house wine is too good and inexpensive.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,426 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see beaches and view points to visit

I think stanbr means teetotaller. It's not so much the house wine, but the free locally distilled "ouzos" that are offered at most Antiparos tavernas. ;-)