We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

A G
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

We are planning a trip in September and need help with our itinerary:

Arrive Santorini mid morning

2 nights Santorini

3 nights Ios

4 nights Folegandros

1 night Santorini to fly out in the afternoon.

Is 4 nights in Folegandros too much? Should we do 3 nights then go to Mykonos for 2 nights and fly out from Mykonos (though it looks like it will take some time to get between the 2 islands).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,542 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

Personally if I was flying in and out of Santorini (not sure if you are flying or sailing in though) I'd save Santorini for the end and have all 3 nights there together, rather than staying there twice. Last time we flew into Santorini we caught the ferry to Ios the same day and saved Santorini for the end of the trip.

It all depends what you want to do on holiday as to whether 4 nights on Folegandros is too long as it is quieter than the other islands you are visiting. I think i'd be tempted to miss out Mykonos on this trip but Mykonos isn't one of my favourite islands so others might disagree.

Edited: 10 June 2010, 11:13
A G
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

We are flying into Santorini so thanks for the advice to go straight ot Ios and do Santorini in one go. Would you recommend 2 or 3 nights in Santorini? We had mixed reports about Mykonos so will remove this from our itinerary. Is there another island close to Ios, Folegandros and Santorini you would recommend visiting if we were only to do 3 nights in Folegandros?

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

Your itinerary doesn't make very much sense unless you are arriving in Santorini airport from a foreign airport. If you are arriving/departing Santorini from/to Athens, then you are better off flying to Milos, spending a few nights there, then Folegandros for a few nights, then Ios for a few nights, and ending in Santorini and flying out of there.

If you are flying in/out Santorini from a foreign airport, and are therefore locked into that airport, how about Sikinos which is between Folegandros and Ios on the same ferry route, for a night?

I live on Folegandros and I don't think 4 nights is too long (heck, I don't think 400 nights are too long) but if you do, Sikinos would be a very very low-key option for a night or two.

Milos is spectacular and deserves some time, I am reluctant to recommend it for only a few nights, but it does have an airport.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

Unfortunately spending less than 3 days on each of the islands doesn't make sense. You wil lose an almost complete first and also the last day just for changing the islands. Also, I don't recommend visiting ios in the main season. During the season it's full of students drinking, throwing up and trying to have sex all the time.

A G
uk
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

We are planning to fly from London direct to Santorini. Thanks for your suggestions!.

mallorytown, ontario
Level Contributor
223 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

Personally, I think 2 nights in Folegandros is LOTS. September is a good time for Ios, not to busy but still hot. Mykonos is not my favourite island but is nice to see once. Paros is an island I like, if it fits your ferry schedules. Why don't you play it by ear, don't make reservations, its not that busy in September (except maybe in Santorini, but theres still lots of people renting rooms at the dock), and just change islands when you feel like it. Theres pretty good ferry connections in the cyclades (except maybe folegandros not as often).

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

I share Xaroula's opinion. It is always difficult to leave Folegandros after 7 days and each year when I make plans for the next summer I always try to include Folegandros. If you are at least a bit poetic person who adores walking and appreciates beauty, you will desperately fall in love with Folegandros.

8. Re: Itinerary help, how many nights in Folegandros?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2010, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Folegandros
Recent Conversations