We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

The actual post is in reply #1 so you don't have to scroll through a long post if this goes to multiple pages.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Verka, about your first question: I'm pretty sure May is too early for boat trips. I'll ask around for you though.

About your second question: the chances of the ferry being canceled are really hard to say more than 4-5 days in advance, but they are pretty good about predicting them 2-3 days before. If you start to pay attention to the weather a few days before you're scheduled to leave, you'll get a good idea of whether you need to make a break for it the day before or not. Personally I would say to go for it - the chance of any ferry being canceled is statistically low. Of course it does happen, and living here I see it happen "a lot" but the chances of it being YOUR boat are not high enough to cancel or to leave early without at least a threatening weather bulletin.

I can tell you that none (as far as I recall) of the cancellations that we had this year were "sudden and unexpected" in the sense nobody had any idea that the wind would pick up. Though, May is still a windy month. The wind today is CRAZY strong. June is better, July is the best. Then August gets bad again with the meltemi.

A lot of words... to sum up... come, play it by ear, jump on a passing ship if clouds gather.... :)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Thanks much Xaroula, I expected this answer. :D

'the chances of it being YOUR boat are not high enough to cancel or to leave early without at least a threatening weather bulletin'

Concerning the boat trips - no problem, we'll go on foot to the beaches then. :) Btw, are the car rental places open now? A few months before you anticipited that they most probably would be open.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

I think so - I will ask - I still haven't asked about boat trips because I forgot. Oops!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Best information we found yet!

We are coming from June 26 to 29. Looks like were are staying at the Meltemi, hope it's a good choice.

Even if your guide made it unbearable to wait until June, thank you for all the info. ;)

Lisboa
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Excelente work xaroula.

I will be going to Folegandros on June 23rd, so I booked the superjet. There was no other way without using holliday days sleeping over in other islands like Syros or Ios (or flyeing to santorini - very expensive).

I realise there is no way of knowing if the boat is going to be cancelled except in the day or in the day before.

Loking at gtp I've devised a "plan B" that is go to Ios on the Highspeed5 and then on the same day or the next day take a ferry Ios-folegandros.

My question is the following: bothe boths leave at the same time (7am) so there is no time to "wait an see if the boat is cancelled", is it enough to look at the weather and the wind speed on the beafort scale? Do you recomend going to the company the day before?

I'm sure you that leave on the island deal with these decisions all the time.

Thanks

AT

Mentioned in this post
Syros
Syros
Cyclades, Greece
Ios
Ios
Cyclades, Greece
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

If any ferry is going to be cancelled, it will be announced several hours in advance, usually. You can call the Port Authority to ask them. If you are shy about calling the Port Authority in Peiraias, call the Port Authority here in Folegandros to ask if the SJ will leave that morning for Foleg. - the number is 22860-41530. They'll have the most up to date information and they are really nice guys who answer questions like that all the time.

But bear in mind - and this goes for everyone - ferry cancellations are based on weather events, and weather events are predictable in advance. Late June and July are the best times of the entire year to be on the sea here. I would not expend any further energy worrying about it. You have a backup plan, you have the Port Authority phone number, now relax and look forward to your trip!! :)

Folegandros is an unpredictable place (as I am writing this post, in absolutely glorious weather, suddenly we have no electricity....) and things happen, but generally speaking, things go pretty smoothly once tourist season gets under way.

(Also by the way your Plan B is a good one and very realistic. Bravo!)

Lisboa
Level Contributor
128 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Dear xaroula,

Thanks very much for your precious input. I will do just that, on the evening I will fone from Athens to Felegandros Port inquiring about the departure of the superjet next day at 7am.

I look forward to my days in Folegandros.

AT

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Okay, there are definitely car rental places open and operating now. Tomaso in Chora is one that is easy to get to (right on the road into Chora a few feet back from where the bus stops at Pounda Square).

Boat trips around the island and between beaches haven't started yet.

Mentioned in this post
Chora
Chora
Folegandros, Greece
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
45 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Many thanks Xaroula, you're fantastic!

We'll be there in a few days, I can't wait! :)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
98 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Xaroula's Guide to Folegandros 2011

Hi Xaroula, great post!

I will be in Folegandros with my wife and 2 children in August, already booked at Provalma studios for our stay and bought ferry tickets from Santorini. I am a little bit frightened by your information about possible cancellations of trips in case of bad sea conditions, I will cross my fingers and hope everything will go smoothly...

By the way, I am a great fan of kokoretsi, do you think it will be possible to find it in Folegandros? Usually it is very difficult to find on the islands in summer.

Efkaristò polì

Mario

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Folegandros