We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Folegandros has ruined me...

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Folegandros has ruined me...

...for other Greek islands, I fear!

My (now) husband and I visited Folegandros on an island hopping holiday (which also included Kouffonissi and Naxos) in June 2012. We both had the most amazing time and loved all the islands - especially Folegandros: the chora, the lovely restaurants, the views and the general 'vibe'.

I really want to plan another Greek holiday but I'm worried I won't find anywhere I like as much! Can anyone recommend other islands with a similar characteristics to Folegandros? I am looking at Anafi, but would like to visit 2 or maybe 3 islands on what will probably be a 14 day holiday in September 2014.

Thanks!

Bfx

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Folegandros is my favourite Greek island. Unfortunately the number of tourist increased in the last years, the evening meals became expensive and my favourite Ag. Nikolaos beach became too crowded and almost destroyed by a huge taverna and its large trash dump on the far side of the beach. Nudism became virtually impossible and it can only be practiced at Fira beach. I still adore the island, my evening walks to Panagia, early morning jogging to Ano Meria and long every day walks from Chora to the nearby beaches.

A good alternative to Folegandros is Sikinos which offers a similar experience. We stayed at the beautiful Chora, after each dinner we walked to the abandoned monastery above the village and we made several impressive walks to the nearby beaches. The island is almost tourist-free, authentic and very friendly. Unfortunately the choice of beaches is very limited.

This year I visited Anafi for the first time and I absolutely loved the island. Chora is a perfect example of Cycladic architecture, the views are to die for, the number of tourists is fairly limited and the tavernas still offer fresh home-made food at reasonable prices. Every day I walked to the nearby beaches (which are beautiful, with comfortable sand and even offer a lot of natural shade) and usually it was possible to return to Chora by a public bus. The only drawback is the free camping at some of the beaches which really went too far. For example, one of the best island beaches (Roukounas) is completely packed with tents and its surrounding is littered with trash, human feces and toilet paper.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Folegandros is a favourite of mine too and I asked a similar question on the forum some years ago.

Thankfully I took up one of the recommendations given at the time and enjoy Antiparos just as much if not even more.

And this summer both islands are on our summer agenda again.

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

I will suggest for you Donoussa, Amorgos and Astypalea.Three very beautiful islands, different in someways but same as for the feeling of serenity that could give you, but only for June and September! Be careful, generally:smaller islands,more crowded in high season.Marjan, I totally agree to you for Anafi.I went for camping in Roucounas 20 y.ago, when nobody even knew Anafi and it was a total hell.BUT Anafi in September is another thing.

Corfu Town, Greece
Level Contributor
174 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Forget that these three islands are in the same route with Blue Star ferries, 1 to 1 1/2hour one from the other.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Another island with a similar vibe to Folegandros is Antiparos, mentioned above by greekadmirer. Antiparos also has a good selection of restaurants, mostly along the pedestrian-only main street and around the harbour.

Xristina T is right that small islands are more crowded in high season. Antiparos is manic in August, but crowds melt away at the beginning of September when families return home for the school year.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

There is no other Folegandros: no two islands are alike. Anafi is perhaps the closest match as it has a hilltop Chora with a bus to the beaches. It is a lot quieter though and you will find a lot of campers on the busiest beach. Koufonissi is similar in a different way: it has about the same size of chora and is as busy as Folegandros with small beaches, but it is flat. Other islands to look at are Antiparos and Donoussa.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Milos is wonderful. Had a wonderful stay there in September 2013. Looking for accommodation on Folegandros - any suggestions?

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
985 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

I stay and always recommend Hotel Anemousa . Very reasonably priced sitting on the edge of Chora , Superb views, very clean modern accommodation.

http://www.anemousahotel.gr

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

Will check it out, thanks. Pollonia is the nicest part of Milos - away from Adammas which is touristy. Lots of accommodation. Captain Zeppos recommended

New Delhi
Level Contributor
2 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Folegandros has ruined me...

I am planning to visit Folegandros by taking a ferry from Athens around 22nd of May 2014. I will return to Athens on 26th May. Can you please advice which is the ferry service available as I couldn't find anything in the net. Also which hotel or guest house you would recommend I stay in Folegandros? Thanks

Satya