We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

I have one precious afternoon in Mykonos with my husband who's really into ruins. He is agreeing to skip our one precious afternoon in Santorini doing Akrotiri and coming with me to Oia instead. Should I reward him with a trip to Delos or should we just wander Mykonos?

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

Hi!if you are just for a day in mykonos I suppose it is better to stay there and wondering around.there is also an archeological museum as well as a nautical museum, a agricultural museum in mykonos town if you want to see some interesting items.delos on the other hand is something special.if you feel like visiting delos then keep in mind that the museum there is closed on mondays and it is open thuesday-sunday 08:30-15:00.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

We went to Delos, Akrotiri, and Knossis and of the three, my partner and I both liked Delos the best. I'd highly recommend it if you can arrange a full day on Mykonos. If you truly only have an afternoon, I don't think you can do it. Delos closes at 3 p.m. and they are very strict about making all the boats leave by then. I think the last boat to Delos is around 1 p.m. It takes about half an hour to get there, so you'd barely have time to get started before you'd have to return. If you could arrange to get the 9:30 or 10 am boat you could return on the 1 pm boat and still have an afternoon to see Mykonos which is also well worth the time.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

Only an afternoon in Mykonos? It's no enough.

DELOS is a wonder archeological place and your husband would loved it, but... you have not the time.

Organize a full day or a 2days trip or next summer.

It's a pity that you skipped Akrotiri also.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

You should not skip Akrotiri. It is a great site. But so is Delos. Ah...decisions decisions.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

Shystermom, the easy solution is to just go back to the Islands again next year and see the sights you are unable to see this year. That's what we did after not getting to see everything we wanted the first time we went to the Islands, in 2004. Only problem is .... now we have to return again *next* year to see all the things we didn't get around to visiting last month!

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

Stay in Mykonos, go to Delos next time you visit.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

If you are really excited about ruins, Delos is a great place to visit, but you do have to leave early, and return by 3:00. I would recommend an excursion that includes a guided tour, we appreciated it so much more with someone filling in all of the background history for us. The map that they provide when you enter does not provide any information! You will return to the port right in Mykonos Town, so you should have time to see that as well. Be sure you find Little Venice!

Don't worry too much about missing Akrotiri- it is a very small site, and in the process of being excavated. It only takes about 45 minutes to tour the entire site. Oia is a very beautiful place to visit! Enjoy!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
179 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Mykonos - Is it worth it to visit Delos?

The value of the Akrotiri is not about the size, but about the rareness (as many things in this life)