We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE: - please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

UK
5 posts
Save Topic
BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

BUYER BEWARE: – bike hire or quad hire. I want to share my bad experience so you can avoid it! PLEASE READ AND KNOW WHAT TO AVOID!!!

Is Greece an EU free country, with freedom of speech?And has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

I went back to Mykonos for the second time in a few years, having had a great time before. This visit my boyfriend and we decided to hire a quad bike to get around more easily and go around the island more. We checked several shops at the start of Mykonos town and opted for the cheapest, which was not much different to the others only 5€ less, but they all seemed the same, with the same type of bikes.

When we hired the quad in the morning and the man said it would be a smaller quad but none were left to come back in the afternoon to exchange it. We then came back in the afternoon, the same man wasn’t there, instead 3 others. They asked why did we come back, they said no problem it’s fine take the one we have and go, no need to change it.

However when we came to return the quad, the same people denied we had and so they demanded more money.

It also broke down once but we managed to start it again without a problem, with hindsight if this happens to you return it for another or your money back immediately!

It then broke down twice on the last day we were to return it, unfortunately the first time we were stuck in the middle of nowhere in the midday heat. Luckily a passing local biker stopped to help us and after several attempts we managed to get it going again. We headed back to return it, stopping at our hotel on the way. It wouldn’t start so we went to the rental shop to explain.

So when returning the quad, instead of being helpful friendly Greek people I expected and maybe concerned about the difficulty we had, I was horrified to see the shop owner square up to my boyfriend threatening him about to fight him after he said the bike broke down and we got stuck, and said we have to pay more. Now the bikes don’t say “small or big” quad’s and the one we had was the smaller one we saw on return anyway.

The owner then got violent repeatedly banging his fists on the desks and then looking to fight and turned nasty, while the other older man in the shop stepped out of the way to the street and did nothing. I was very fearful and worried there was going to be a fight and my boyfriend would get hit or even hit the man. So I stood between the two of them to make sure either didn’t throw a punch.

We left to get help from the police who were nearby.

The policeman was fairly helpful, they went to collect the bike and it was fine except the starter was failing. The shopkeeper refused to give my boyfriends licence back and was very aggressive in his manner I thought there was going to be then wanted further money saying it was a new quad (which it wasn’t). The older man who up to now was reasonable and co-operative then turned nasty too and again threatened shouting and banging the desk demanding more money and refusing to return my boyfriends licence. This was in front of the officer who did nothing, they obviously knew one another.

In the meantime another couple were in the shop and asked one of the men the price of the bikes, I suggested to the girl not to shop here as we just had to get the police. She thanked me. The police officer then told me I should not have said that and told me I lose my rights for doing that and can then end up in court and asked me to wait outside the shop premises. Is Greece an EU free speech country? !!!!

The policeman then also told me the man is a bad man and the older one isn’t as bad, but he then turned to us as if we should pay the money, and didn’t help. In the end we paid the money, as my boyfriend didn’t want to fight and just wanted his licence back, as obviously we were on holiday, and the police weren’t independent, as obviously it’s a small island. So my boyfriend paid and told them they were thieves. I asked the police officer if he was going to do anything as it was unfair, he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders and started to walk back to his position.

The aggressive man then came to my boyfriend to hand back part of the cash too. Crazy, but presumably because he knows he was wrong. This spoilt our holiday and we were glad to leave Mykonos and get back home. I am disgusted by the whole situation, especially what the policeman told me.

The bike/quad place to avoid is at the start of the town called: “Joe club” bikes, please see the photo. I’d suggest any of the others, AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS. For any hire, get everything in writing, don’t hand over your licence, or to be even safer hire only from a global recognised firm, e.g. Avis, Budget, etc.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I hope this helps others have a better holiday experience than we did.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

"Is Greece an EU free country, with freedom of speech?"

Comments like this are irrelevant with your unfortunate renting experience and totally not needed, turning the most sympathetic reader into a cautious one.

Your contribution to the forum is just this post, 3 times in one week, copied and pasted in three different threads.

Is there any specific reason or use for posting the same info three times in different dedicated threads other than spamming?

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Hello there "Nick Arch"

Thank you for your comments, especially as you are from Greece. I am new to Tripadvisor postings, though have used it many times before when looking to go places.

I tried to delete the original post but it doesn't let you. Though I believe I wrote this post objectively. I have been to Mykonnos before and it was fantastic, which is why I was going again, and I clearly say it was great before. The reason I did two posts today, was after posting the first realised some people may not read it as I put the subject of bike hire, but it's still relevant to many people. Also tripadvisor is for both good and bad experiences, that I thought is the whole point of it.

As you are from Greece, hopefully you can clear up something for me, was the policeman correct to tell me "I lose my rights and can go to court" for telling another possible customer that we had to get the police? - that is what my comment refers to, look forward to your reply! Many thanks in advance.

And for anyone else reading this, just to clarify the Greek Islands are a fantastic place to visit, some are absolutely stunning like Santorini, just be careful of things like this.

:)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,814 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

I really have no idea of the relative situation.

Still, yes, this may happen in every side of the world.

All that policeman said to you was to protect you. Sometimes translation from Greek to English may alter the exact meaning.

What he meant is that when you deal with a situation like this, anywhere in the world, all you are advised to do is just claim your rights for a good service.

Saying to other customers that you already have a problematic service, actually turns you from defense to offense, just giving to the actual offender more things to brag about.

So, a more correct translation of policeman words "you are losing your rights" would be "you are losing your justified position this way".

I am really sorry you had a case of really bad service which spoiled your overall experience. Still, all what policeman was trying to do was to protect you from possible allegations from the actual "offender".

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Hi Nick

Thanks for explaining that, I see what you mean now.

Yes I suppose the policeman, whose english was pretty good, may have translated his words not that well, resulting in a different meaning to what he may really have meant, and like you described.

Thanks again, as I can rest a bit more peacefully in relation to the policeman's comments made to me. Anyway we're both back home now safe and well, that's the main thing.

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Wow, that sounds like a terrible experience. Sorry it spoiled your holiday. I just got back from a month in Greece and rented several cars and never had a problem. Most of them were from more 'local' companies, but I had checked tripadvisor for recommendations from people who had previously rented with no problems. Nevertheless, there is no excuse to be treated like you did. Don't let one jerk taint your experience of the beautiful Greek islands.

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Yeah thanks Tom, next time I ever car hire I will do that, thanks for the tip!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Your home now, but if you have problems like this & you think that you have been treated unfairly then you should contact the Tourist police not the local police. They have different roles & you may have gotten different advice.

UK
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Thanks Mick.

And so glad to be home.

Mykonos Town, Greece
Level Contributor
763 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

I am sorry to hear about you bad experience.

Things like this will unfortunately happen anywhere in the world.

In general there is always a reason why some places are cheaper than others. Ususally it's not a good idea to go for the cheapest option, not only in car or scooter rental, but in general.

For anybody looking for a rental car, scooter or quad bike I can recommend either OK in Ag. Stefanos(Tel. 22890 23761) or Budget by the Windmills (22890 23210). Both are reasonably priced and have very good service and friendly staff. And most importantly they would never try to con you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEWARE: – please read if you are hiring a bike or quad

Oooh I remember this place. There were 5 or 6 men sitting there every day when I would wait for the bus. I joked around with them when they offered to rent me a quad, about how crazy the drivers are in Mykonos and I didnt want to die on my vacation. They all laughed, and we joked around every day that I waited for the bus.

I found the men there quite friendly, I am actually quite shocked at this Story.

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos
Recent Conversations