We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mykonos

sydney
Level Contributor
382 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
mykonos

I would like to visit Santorini for 4 days and Mykonos for 4 days in July with my husband and 2 kids, 9 and 16 years. It is 28 years since i was last there. Im told Mykonos is for 20 to 30 year olds now who want to party all night and that i (48 years) will be disappointed with an island that is crowded with drunk young people and should rather go to Turkey instead. Is Mykonos a good destination for a family who enjoys the beach and a bit of Greek ambience and doesnt want to party all night? I also heard that it is a very windy island and I dont enjoy the beach in the wind so am I better off remembering it from 28 years ago and not going back?I would hate to be disappointed. If Turkey is the place to go then where in Turkey should I go as I have limited time. Do you have any good 4 star resorts to reccommend? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mykonos

Hi, I have just returned this weekend from Mykonos.

I'm older than you and went with my 26 year old daughter and we had a really good time but...I must be honest and say that with the ages of your family I would definately do Turkey instead. Mykonos is well, yes windy as hell and very expensive. A reasonable restaurant main course will easily set you back 20 euros and we were disappointed with the Paradise Beach as it was not sandy, not scenic (far from Paradise!) and the music blares out from 5pm every night. Its a stylish and arty town but unless you have money to burn the shops are more for looking at than buying in.

Turkey is a much better bet, the people are amazing and it is much less expensive. We stayed in and loved Kalkan, but no beach to walk to and we also had an amazing week sailing in a gulet from Gocek and stayed a couple of nights in that small town at the fantastic swisshotel (www.swisshotel.com) Now that WAS paradise! and it has its own private beach with views to die for. But if you really want a busy family resort then it might be best to opt for places like Bodrum or Antayla. Hope that helps. Have a great time.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mykonos

Is only Mykonos and Santorini in Greece?

cCause i believe from the 2000 islands there are many can suit your needs..and they are not at all expensive....

I think choosing Naxos instead of Mykonos would be much more nicier...it is not expensive island at all..with amazing beaches and tottaly relaxing.it has a connection with Santorini....I cant understand how can all the people stucked with Mykonos and Santorini when they are thousands other places of Greece less expensive and really relaxing....

As for Turkey vacations on an island i dont think has any comparison with mainaland....i could have suggest a amain land destination of Greece but i think an island can gve you the sense of vacations...and relaxation...small distances bettwen the places,many beaches one next to an other...and lees touristic character than the gigantic resorts and massive tourism of the mainland..same in Greeceand furthermore in Turkey,,,by the way choosing Rhodes island (best euroepan destination in TA for 2008) or Samos both are great islands,Samos really relaxing and tottaly green....will give you the oportunity also to have a daytrip to Turkey if you want as these islands are really close...

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mykonos

Hi, how would you get from Santorini to Turkey? I will agree with Gas that there are other places to visit instead of Mykonos after Santorini, although Mykonos can cater for any taste and certainly has more than one beach where you can go to depending on your mood (crowded, empty, nudist) and how the wind blows. You could try out Naxos or Paros (on both islands they offer daytrips to Mykonos and Delos) Antriparos, Ios, Tinos, Andros etc the choices are endless.

4. Re: mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2008, 14:11
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: mykonos

I would say that Santorini is more your style, although Mykonos has everything for everyone. I keep hearing stories about the wind, but I have been there in 2007 and 2008 and the wind is a blessing really and the only place it truly gets windy are where the windmills are.

Greece and Turkey offer two totally different experiences, so I think to start you should decide which country you would like to holiday on and go from there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mykonos

Whoever is advising you that you won't like Mykonos, go to Turkey, seems to be forgetting that Greece has 2,000+ islands plus a beautiful mainland, not just two islands (Mykonos and Santorini).

It's a pretty absurd and ludicrous thing to say that just because Mykonos may not be ideal for "family vacations," that one should forget about Greece completely and visit Turkey. It makes me wonder if the people who are dispensing that advice are really that ignorant or if they have a different agenda in mind.

Anyhow, some islands worth looking into for quiet, family holidays in Greece include Naxos, Milos, Folegandros, some parts of Rhodes (as much of a tourist attraction as it is, there are many quiet areas), parts of Crete (again, away from the more saturated tourist areas), Karpathos, Samos, Lesvos and many many others. Do your research and take your pick, and I am sure you will not be disappointed :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mykonos

Well i dissagree....usually the really touristic places are ovepriced and crowded...but this is not generalized and it doesnt mean you cant have your time of your life at Mykonos...

on the other hand as i already repeat there are thousands of destinations in Greece less expensive and less crowded....and there are some islands maybe suit a family more....

kasuperwoman check out these resorts....on different greek islands...i think they can satisfy you completelly...

(ferry connection with Santorini)

Folegandros (one of the hiden jems of Aegean next to Santorini)

http://www.anemomilosapartments.com/

http://www.folegandros-apartments.com/

http://www.ariafolegandros.gr/

infos about Folegandros

www.folegandros.gr

Naxos

http://www.kavos-naxos.com/

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mykonos

Neo 11 you have perfectly aswered..i have not something to add: )

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mykonos

@ sweetcoupleEce, some places are less expensive so places are not, some places offer better services some don’t. I have cases where I felt that I had value for money in your country and others where I felt that I was completely ripped off. What I also didn’t like in Istanbul is the complete strangers who are trying to start a conversation with you on the street, trying to find out details about you, just to see what they can get out of you. It is not friendly, it is not hospitable it just makes you feel threatened some how and uncomfortable. Don’t get me wrong, I love Istanbul and I really would like to go and see the hinterland (I am not into the colossal hotels of the Aegean coast, what you call the white sea) but please do not compare our two countries because your opinion will always be biased and not realistic. BTW were you on Mykonos on a cruise ship stop? Do you think this gave you enough time to get to know a place in order to have a realistic opinion to share with others? Not only that, trying to talk them out of visiting?

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mykonos

sweetcoupleEce...I know we have been here before on this forum but with 2000 or so Greek Islands, how can you say that in Turkey 'the quality of service is better'???

You do keep making these 'sweeping statements' which, unless you have visited and fully experienced absolutely everywhere in Greece, you simply aren't qualified to make!!!

You must know that people are going take issue with you over these ridiculous generalizations.... so why do it?!!!

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos