We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

Greece Day 1:

We flew early from London Gatwick to Mykonos, Greece. The 4-hour flight was uneventful, and it reminded me of Westjet flights in Canada – simple, no frills, on-time, get you to where you need to be, but nothing remarkable.

We lined up for a while at the Mykonos port authority. Man, were those immigrant officers hot! Even he, a self-proclaimed straightly heterosexual man, said these men could have been CK underwear models, if they didn’t wear the nicely fitted uniforms. Needless to say it was quite an eye-candy fest, and I didn’t mind too much how slow these Greek guys worked. That was my first taste of how laid-back the Greek could be – coming from fast-pace London, that was a treat.

The hotel owner came picked us up at the airport. He showed us the room, which had a direct view of the swimming pool, and the B&B was small but adequate. We had lunch next to the poolside tables. It was relaxing, feeling the Aegean winds brush across my cheeks. We decided not to waste our lazy Sunday afternoon, so we walked downhill to check out Mykonos town.

I guess I didn’t learn my lesson well in London. Here I was, wearing a cute dress and nice leather sandals, and here we were hopping down hundreds of stairs, getting lost in the abyss of the Mykonos fortress, intended to confuse pirates and invaders. I thought I was going to twist my ankles, but he held onto me tight and I didn’t slip, though there were a couple of close calls.

Mykonos towns was cute. White cubic houses, blue roof as clear as the ocean, and prices to match Fifth Avenue in New York. I mean, why was everything so expensive? I understand that Mykonos is popular and touristy, but I didn’t expect prices as high as the major cities. I didn’t buy anything, and neither did he.

We went for an “early” dinner at 8pm (most Greek eat their evening meal after 10pm) to a cute restaurant recommended by Tripadvisor forum posters. “Maerion”, and we walked past it 3 times before we found it finally. Confusing the tourists seems to be a recurring theme on the island. The vegetables were fresh and full of favours, and the music chic and enchanting. We stared into each other’s eyes, clicking our wine glasses and toasted to our Greek honeymoon. Ah, romance!

Greece Day 2:

The next day, I started to come down with a cold, and my head throbbed and my eyes started to water. We didn’t go out until the afternoon, after I took some unknown cold medicine (we couldn’t read the Greek labels, but the pharmacy assured us that it would work) and slept the morning off.

We walked close to the port, and saw the town mascot, the Pelican. Because of our phobia of birds, especially big birds that look like they can bite your head off, I didn’t pet the creature. We had Souvlaki for lunch – do you know that they put fries inside the Pita bread?

We strolled to the Windmills and took some pictures, but were dismayed to find garbage floating near the shore. What a saddening sight, such a beautiful town, yet overrun by cruises and so uncared for. Are Mykonos people merely into making the big bucks now? Our hotel is an oasis on the island, friendly service and away from the noise. I don’t know if I would like the island at all if it weren’t for the hospitality we received there.

We checked out yet another church at the Little Venice area and waited for the sunset. I got bored and pulled out the tour book that I picked up and started reading. Apparently I was ruining everyone’s photo shots, so we left and walked across town, hoping to find the restaurant we planned to have dinner at.

The restaurant we wanted to go was already closed for the season, so we went to Niko's Taverna instead. I made the mistake of ordering a sea urchin salad – it wasn’t very good at all. But the other food, spaghetti and lamb, was standard Greek fare and quite nice. The restaurant was a great spot to people and pelican watch. Since I wasn’t into bird petting, we left shortly afterwards, catching a cab back to the hotel.

It was our first experience sharing a cab with complete strangers. I wasn’t sure the exact reason why Greek started sharing cabs, but it was a great way to save energy and struck up conversations with other visitors.

The hotel looked inviting with its lights on at the front, and the hotel owner invited me to use the high speed internet for free. I spent the rest of the evening looking at the wedding proofs that our photographer sent us.

Greece Day 3:

He was being a sleepy head, so I brought breakfast up to our hotel room. The owner wouldn’t stop teasing us about it afterwards, it was quite embarrassing. But it was our honeymoon and I really wanted to do it, so whatever.

We took the last boat of the day to the nearby island, Delos. Being the birth place of God Apollo, they declare the island a World Heritage Site and forbid anyone staying overnight there. There were also no restaurants or any sort of commercial activities there. We debated joining a tour, but went there ourselves instead to allow for more flexibility.

What a view! I was blown away by the ruins – you could feel something really happened there. No words could describe how moved I was while standing and walking amid the fallen temples. I was a big Greek and Roman mythologies buff, and it was the major reason why I wanted to go to Greece for our honeymoon.

I wore a wrap dress created from recycled Indian Sari, hoping that I would feel more like a Greek goddess. The dress kept getting caught by bushes and rocks, I mean, who am I kidding, I was in a ruin after all. I really need to learn to dress better for the occasion.

I don’t know what was my favourite spot on Delos. Maybe it was the remains of the theatres? Or the rich people’s house with dolphins’ flooring? Or could it be the Naxos Lion statues? What about the Apollo’s temple? We had fun geeking out and pointing out the Battlestar Galatica reference, even though it was nothing like what they described on the show.

We were afraid to get a sun stroke, so we took it really easy walking around at a leisurely pace. After catching the boat back to Mykonos, we relaxed at the hotel until dinner time.

I really wanted to try Nobu, the famous Japanese restaurant, but unfortunately they were also closed for the seasons. We wanted to try Coo, another trendy Japanese place, but when we passed by it at 8pm, hardly anyone was inside. Some bouncer guys looked menacing when we poked our heads to check out the place, so we ended up with Kastro instead. Moussaka and lambs, both were yummy. We were so glad that we haven’t had one bad meal yet in Greece.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

I cannot tell you how much I laughed..and what a super refreshing and honest report:-)))) Your writing skills are fantastic..totally related and you paint a perfect picture! Yes, they do put fries in the pita..lol!!! Absolutely wonderful..appears you got what you were loooking for (somewhat - and yeah! one of the most expensive isles in Greece!) but sounds like you found it in Delos:-) Again, I totally had fun reading this..thanks for the great share..Congrats..and absolutely Enjoyed!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

Why thanks, Litsa!

Now I need to write the rest of my trip report - Naxos and Santorini!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
908 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

A great report and really enjoyed reading it.

>so we ended up with Kastro instead<

Hey! If you mean the restaurant by the same name I've enjoyed eating there many, many times. Who needs Nobu :o)

Many thanks for your report.

Jon

4. Re: Trip report - September honeymoon 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 17:18