We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

DC
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

Hi - my friend and I are travelling to Mykonos in 2wks and are trying to decide where to stay. We're two girls in our late 20's, looking to lounge at pool/beach during the day or travel around the island and go to restaurants & bars at night. We've read A LOT of reviews and discussions and narrowed it down to staying in Mykonos Town. We're trying to stay around, but preferrably below $250/nt. We've narrowed it down to the Belvedere and the Rochari...price difference being ~$150 over our 3 night stay. The room at the Rochari they say is patio w/ garden view near the street, and at Belvedere is a standard room (not one of the newly renovated however) w/ Mykonian Courtyard-Garden View. From what I've read the Belvedere drinks and food are more expensive so that will add to the price difference...is that true?

So, my question is, is it worth it to pay more to stay at the Belvedere or is the Rochari about the same? Does the Belvedere have that much of a better scene, or pool, or experience, or food, or room?

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos Town
Mykonos Town
Mykonos, Greece
Rochari Hotel
Rochari Hotel
390 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

CRclueless

I love Hotel Rochari and the family that operate it and would never stay anywhere else on the island. However, all garden rooms at the hotel are at its lowest level i.e. without a sea view. There are two types. The first are directly behind a wall. You will have a small terrace and a view of some olive trees that are between the bedroom and that wall. On the other side is a small quiet lane.

The other room it could be is one of a few that are around a small courtyard/patio right next to an exit/enterence door that leads you out onto that lane mentioned above. These are perfectly good rooms but, believe me, after 1am as folks come back from town through that gate it can be very noisy. It may not be too bad mid-June though.

I have a notion that the Belvedere rooms being offered look into the courtyard towards the main street. Noise could be a problem.

Drinks at Rochari will be cheaper than at the Belvedere. I've never eaten at the Belvedere but I've heard it's expensive although the food is very good. Rochari doesn't offer formal dinners but their evening food such as simple lamb stews, roast chicken dinners cost about 15 euro.

I can't comment on the Belvedere pool scene but the Rochari has a good one. Views from both the Belvedere and Rochari public areas are superb.

I can't recommend one over the other as I've only lodged at Rochari. It would be cheaper overall I guess to stay at Rochari but it's a 3 star against the much higher rated Belvedere which should provide more services, perhaps those that you prefer.

It's a difficult choice to make.

Jon

Mentioned in this post
Rochari Hotel
Rochari Hotel
390 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
New Jersey
Level Contributor
787 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

Hi CRclueless

I say go for the Rochari. Since you are not getting one of the premium rooms why pay for the extra cost.

As far as food is concerned there are so many great restaurants in town to choose from so don't confine yourself to the hotel. I passed by the Belvedere a few times and was not impressed by the hotel itself or the clientel. In fact I have one of those patio rooms at the Rochari booked for September but I'm not worried about potential noise from those returning late as I will probably be the last one in.

Enjoy your stay in Mykonos

Gbow

Mentioned in this post
Rochari Hotel
Rochari Hotel
390 Reviews
Mykonos, Greece
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

>but I'm not worried about potential noise from those returning late as I will probably be the last one in<

LOL I bet you are too, G.

Jon

4. Re: Belvedere vs. Rochari? Or something else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2009, 08:17