We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos or Crete

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mykonos or Crete

Hi All,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece in June. We are definitely going to Santorini but trying to decide between Mykonos and Crete for our second island. We want to relax, lay poolside/beachside, see ruins, eat good food, and decompress. We don't feel like partying all night, so I am not sure if that means Mykonos would be a bad choice. But we only have 3 days and I am worried that makes Crete a bad choice because its so big.

Can anyone advise?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos or Crete

I think Crete is a better choice even though it's quite a lot larger than Mykonos. You can certainly see ruins/ancient sites on Crete, some of which are close to Iraklion where you are most likely to arrive on the island. How do you plan to travel though ?

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos or Crete

With only 3 days, you might want to consider Naxos. Great beaches, interesting enough ruins, and you could visit Delos on one of your days, and very interesting villages in the interior. I'd guess it would be much less of a hassle to get to your hotel from the ferry in Naxos than it would in Iraklion.

Pairing Santorini with Naxos will give you the experience of having visited one of the most heavily touristed islands with one of the more laid back ones.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos or Crete

To add to Andy's question, where are you going afterwards?

Also, does the 3 days exclude travelling days, or include them?

I think you might be better off in Mykonos, or have you thought of Naxos - 2 hours by ferry from Santorini, a beautiful port town with a beach village, and more beautiful beaches within 10km? Neither Naxos nor Mykonos has much in the way of old ruins, with the exception of the temple in Naxos harbour and the Kouros in Apollon (Naxos), but both would be within striking distance of Delos, where there are more ruins than you can shake a stick at :-) (a quaint English expression lol).

However, that would mean another full day out of your already stretched itinerary.

Plenty of things to think about here..

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,798 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos or Crete

i have just cross-posted with zakrosian, and we have said virtually the same thing!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos or Crete

Hi there

I wouldn't bother with Crete for just 2-3 days - it's a huge island and you'd have to very carefully decide what to see and stick to your guns religiously otherwise, you would just end up blasting around the island and see very little.

I would look at a smaller island that is closer to Santorini, that still gives you plenty of scope.

How many days is the trip for in total?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos or Crete

Thanks! So we are flying into Athens, doing a day there, then flying to the first island, taking a ferry between that island and the second island, and then flying back from the second island to Athens. And the way the plane times and even ferry times seem to work we would basically get three full days in each island. My instinct was to save Crete for another time since it is so big and I thought we may be overwhelmed for 3 days but then I heard Mykonos was for the party set and that even the beaches were crazy... we have a one year old so sleep is needed much more than partying, not that we won't enjoy dinners out, etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos or Crete

Hi again

Well, in that case, I think that the previous recommendations for Naxos are a great idea. Maybe he will see this topic and respond, but if not, drop a PM to "Greek-Traveller" who is a true expert for Naxos and can supply you with links to 1000s of photos.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos or Crete

I second GBDevizes.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos or Crete

Awesome! Thanks!

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mykonos or Crete

Actually, June is a very good time to visit Mykonos. The party season doesn't begin until July and August, and you won't see much evidence of partying before midnight anyway.

Delos, IMO, is a must-see if you are in the Cyclades and interested in ancient sites. The advantage of visiting Delos from Mykonos is that it is only a 30 minute boat ride away, while the excursion from Naxos takes a full 10 hours, and runs only three times per week.

There are many beautiful, sandy beaches with easy access by bus from Mykonos Town, and some, e.g. Agios Ioannis (the Shirley Valentine beach), are relatively quiet. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos