We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 16:56
UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

Emma,

Other routes that you can look at are:

Kos - Santorini - Naxos/Paros/Ios - Mykonos

Kos - Astypaleia - Naxos/Paros - Mykonos

2. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,525 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

If you prefer a quieter and more peaceful island most definitely Astypalea. However, I have no idea regarding the ferry schedule and it could be problematic to travel there.

4. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

Hi,

Three possible routes, how many islands you stop on depends on your time:

1) Kos > Kalimnos > Astypalaea > Amorgos > (Small Cyclades #4) > Naxos > Mykonos.

2) Kos > Kalimnos > Leros > Lipsi > Patmos > Samos > Fourni > Ikaria > Mykonos.

3) Kos > Santorini > Ios > Naxos > Paros/Antiparos > Mykonos.

1) and 2) are the most unusual and less touristy than 3), as the latter is through the most popular central Cyclades islands.

On route 2) my preferred islands would be Lipsi, Patmos, Samos, Ikaria. You have to go to Samos anyway so you may as well make it a stop. I always stay in Pythagorion or Kokkari both are relatively close to Samos town for the ferry to Ikaria/Mykonos.

Obviously there is no way I can confirm any Greek ferry, but what is most likely is the Samos > Piraeus ferries will go thru Mykonos/Syros, currently it's only Syros(winter I suppose), however Syros > Mykonos is a regular ferry route so no real problem.

Patmos has virtually no package tourists, Samos quite a lot due to direct flights but it's not affected too badly.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 13:55
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,525 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

Hi Emma,

I wouldn't think either Patmos or Samos are likely to be very busy in June. Not at the beginning of June anyway. I suggested Astypalaea because you mentioned it earlier and it has a reputation for being off the beaten track. However, since Rhippy has kindly mentioned the ferry routes you could also read up on Amorgos which is an island I know. In June you will certainly find tavernas etc to eat at.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

For Astypalaea from Kos you have to make a logistic stop on Kalimnos to pickup the 'Nissos Kalimnos' ferry early morning 07:00 to Astypalaea on Tues, Thurs, Sat (the other days it goes to Samos). There might be one of the big ferries direct from Kos > Astypalaea (Mon ?), 1 per week if you are very lucky.

So from Kos airport to Mastichari for the ferry to Kalimnos the shortest way, or of course via Kos town the long way.

The 'Nissos Kalimnos' conveniently calls at Peri Gialos the old port on Astypalaea so very convenient for a room close to tavernas and the Chora.

The big bluestar ferries for Amorgos however go from Ag.Andreas across the neck of the island.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 14:22
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,525 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

RHippy,

If you can answer the following please do:

Is it the same Kalimnos that has been sailing the Greek islands for at least 20 years or a newer craft ?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

I made some notes on last year's schedule of Nissos Mykonos, the ferry that services this route. In the period of 17-30.06.2011 there were daily sailings except for Mondays, departures from Vathi 9:00 (Karlovassi 9:40) arrival at Mykonos 14:15. On Sundays the departure from Vathi was a bit later, at 13:00 (Karlovassi 13:40) with arrival at Mykonos 19:10. I hope this helps as Greek ferry schedules are often the same or very similar year on year.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kos to Mykonos Island Hopping - which islands area best

20 years ago I went from Kos to Mykonos in one hop aboard the Ionian Sun!

It is possible to get from Kos to Astypalia in one hop using the Diagoras. At the moment it is only one trip a week, but it may be possible to do it more frequently during the summer.

There is yet another way of doing this journey via two islands: Kos - Rhodes - Crete - Mykonos. Probably not recommended though.