We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

My boyfriend and I are deciding where to go this July and have never been to Greece. We are a gay couple so we are considering Mykonos.

In the past, for both family holidays and as a couple we have always gone to Spain. We are used to the big All Inclusive hotels in places like Gran Canaria and Ibiza. For us, a holiday means people watching by the pool, not having to go far for food and drink, and partying at night.

All the hotels in Mykonos look to be tiny B&Bs with only 20 or so rooms. I'm shocked that some don't even have a pool. As pretty and romantic as these places are, I'm just worried we'd be bored with so few other guests around and few facilities. Are there any larger hotels in Mykonos that would cater to our admittedly more "commercial" expectations?

I realise we probably won't get All Inclusive, but are there any good half board places people can recommend? Our budget is £700 pp for 7 nights.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

I somehow understand your wishes, however, you should try to experience the real Greece: stay in a small family-run hotel and enjoy the beauty of the Cyclades. You will have more than enough opportunities to party (several gay-only hotels, many party oriented beaches, ...)

You can also find some islands which are heavily packed with AI tourists: see some part of Rhodes (Faliraki), Crete (Hersonisos, Malia) or Kos for example. Even these parts of these islands managed to keep more authenticity than some well-known Spanish resorts (Benidorm, Playa del Ingles, ...).

Edited: 12 March 2012, 18:23
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Hi Will D: It's not true that "All the hotels in Mykonos look to be tiny B&Bs with only 20 or so rooms." Sure, there are many small family-run places, but there are also many larger resort-style hotels which, unfortunately, tend to be in the expensive luxury class and which do not, far as I am aware, offer AI options. Most of those bigger hotels also are not close to the places where you'd probably want to party. And since July is peak travel season, many of those hotels could cost more than you have budgeted for accommodations.

Have you checked out the Rochari? http://www.rochari.com/index.html

A gay couple that stayed there on my recommendation in June a couple of years ago had a blast, and they had been looking for a place with features similar to what you're seeking. A mid-sized hotel, it has a terrific pool and bar area with amazing sunset views, a mixed but very gay-friendly clientele, and it's a short walk into the heart of Mykonos Town where you'll find plenty of bustling clubs, bars and restaurants. I think you would enjoy the Rochari.

The Geranium used to be an "exclusively gay hotel" that offered much of what you're seeking, but it changed its name slightly a few years ago and recent reviews describe it as a predominantly straight hotel now that doesn't offer the gay party scene it once did. But in case you haven't heard of it, check their website and then read the TA reviews. Someone I know who stayed there about five years ago raved about it for the features you're seeking, but when I quickly scanned recent reviews, it doesn't sound like it is the same place anymore. http://www.geranium-hotel.com/index.htm

Some of the larger resorts with pools on the island include the Petasos and Ambassador at Platis Gialos; Mykonos Blu at Psarou; the Saint John and Mykonos Grand at Ag. Ioannis, and the Myconian Imperial and Royal Myconian at Elia beach, to name but a few. These aren't the popular Mykonos "party beaches," and these aren't party-geared hotels, though. And while their pools might be busy during the day, their clientele would be predominantly straight. Also, none of these hotels is close to places to party at night. In fact, you would have to take a bus (or rental vehicle) to get to/from Mykonos Town. I haven't been to Ibiza or Gran Canaria, but doubt that any of these Mykonos hotels I mentioned would be similar to what you have experiences on those islands.

Elia has been the most popular beach destination for gay visitors in recent years, but the area is quite a distance from Mykonos Town and you would have extremely limited night-time dining options and no night-time party scene nearby if you stayed there.

If you really do want to stay at a large, virtually self-contained AI or half-board resort, then I agree with Marjan that your best bet would be to consider Rhodes, Kos or Crete.

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Will D, We are a gay couple and live in London. We have been many times to Mykonos and I am sure that you would have a wonderful time. As mentioned above take a look at the Rochari website. The hotel is very gay friendly and in July will be about 85/90% gay/lesbian. The hotel rates in July will be the highest of the season and you will have to book quickly to get in. Many people go every year. There are2 bars and a pool. It is easy to get to the beaches during the day by bus and a 10 min walk to the town restaurants and bars in the evening. The breakfast is served to1pm and included in the price. Usually they will put on a party one night geared to the gay clientele by the pool .

Also decide quickly because the flights will be booking up as well. Easyjet is the best from London at about £250 return - they fly 3 or 4 times a week in July.

Try Mykonos and you will definitely return!

Regards

Moby

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the replies. This has given us a chance to rethink what we want from a holiday, and we've decided we definitely want to try Mykonos.

The Rochari looks nice, how many rooms does it have roughly? Like I said before, I'm used to large hotels and I just feel that staying in a place with only a few rooms would feel quite claustrophobic. Also is it not possible to book the Rochari online? I can't find it on any booking sites and to me that seems strange.

Something else I forgot to mention was that we are in our mid/late 20's. I am starting to build up this image in my mind of Mykonos being so upmarket and expensive that there won't be very many other younger travellers there. Is that an incorrect assumption?

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Hi Will D, you have to book Rochari direct. www.rochari.com. Take a look at their website. You pay for 3 nights deposit and it is returned if you cancel up to about 2 weeks before.

They have about 100 + rooms on 5 levels. It is built on a hill. Higher is better with stunning views over the town and bay.

Don't worry - lots of young people will be there but it's not a cheap island.

Leave a personal message for more info

Regards

Moby

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
902 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

Wiill

I agree with all that Moby has advised you re the Rochari.

The management of the hotel has never opened up their reservations to external booking sites. Perhaps that is due to the commission taken by same but I really do not know for sure. The Rochari is known though for one of the highest return guest rates so it could be their strategy for this hotel is the right one.

Last year we met a couple who were lodging at their other town hotel, Little Rochari, and they had bought their rooms on booking. com - I've just had a look and that's not happening now. Rooms at their other place though, the Panthea Residence at Agios Ioannis are being sold on Expedia and hotels.com

All that would confuse the heck out of me and I'd hate to be in charge of their reservation diaries :o)

7. Re: Mykonos - What to expect? We're used to Spain.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 07:42