We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way of transportation is better?

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Which way of transportation is better?

My plane lands at 1:35 pm on July 27 2012 in Athens and I want to get to Mykonos as soon as possible. The next ferry from Rafina port leaves at 3pm. Olympus airlines also has a 3:45 flight from athens to Rome. Will I be able to make it to the port on time for the ferry?

It says to be there 45 minuts before departure. How strict are they with that?

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

Where are you arriving from? This matters, as it determines whether you have to go through Passport Control.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

I don't think it does matter because I don't think you have enough time anyway. If you were going by bus you would have to get the 14:20 which means you have 45 minutes to get througt the airport and find the bus stop and then you will have 5 or 10 minutes to get from the bus and onto the ferry. If you were prepared to go by taxi, youstand a better chance of making it.

However, since there are other ferries later I wouldn't risk it, I would take a slow ferry at 17:00.

In answer to your other question, it doesn't matter how late you arrive at the port. As long as you have time to walk onto the ferry before it departs, that is OK. They don't enforce any rule about being there xx minutes before departure, especially if you are a foot passenger.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

if you land at ATH at 1.35 there is a minute chance of getting the ktel bus at 1420 and the bus stop is by the sofitel hotel across the road from the arrivals exit. i have made that bus and my plane landed at 1350 and i

was just lucky lol!

this bus is about 3 euros and takes about 25-40 mins.

a taxi is expensive if you are on your own, i think 25-30 euros or more.

takes about 20 mins.

27 July is a Friday and the ferries will be very busy (packed usually but since the economic problems i do not the score now if that is still the case)

as the poster says above there is no real issue of being at the ferry only a few minutes before departure but you have to get a ferry foot ticket (unless you buy one on board but i am not sure about that)

the ferry lines ticket offices are opposite the berths anyway at rafina.

if you miss the 3.00pm then yes there is the slower but much larger cheaper

traditional ferry around 5pm and takes about 5 hours but its a nice journey.

you have a fabulous meal and chill out at a taverna opposite the ferry berths at rafina and wait for 1700 with no stress.

you mention about a flight ATH to Rome at 3.45?

that confuses me...do you mean a flight to Mykonos?

if so then a connection from your 1.35 arrival is fine and you will make that ok if you are on time.

even if you land at 2.30 you should still make it.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

Oh gosh! I meant flight to Mykonos. And taking a taxi is no problem as there are three of us and that is what we were going to do anyways. I'm flying in from Canada. So between 1:35 and 3:00 we would have to get out luggage, take a taxi to the port and pck up our tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

ok well in that case yes you should be ok!!

do check and confirm with taxi driver before you leave airport on the fare...

have fun mykonos is my all time fav!!

you can pre-book your ferry tickets and pick them up at the port office at rafina.

as i said its Friday and gonna be busy you should not leave it until you get there..

i think the 3.00pm is a sea jet2

www.seajets.gr/en/index.php…

mytravelnet.gr/ferries/…

however if you miss it due to flight delay you have 1700 and 1735 slow ferry and 2000 seajet

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

What happens if I buy the tickets but miss it? They won't be allowed to be used for the next, slower ferry right?

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

If you miss the ferry, you won't be able to reclaim the fare you have paid unless you can claim it on your travel insurance. You won't be able to use the tickets for a later ferry at all as they are all operated by different companies. Another point is that that is going to be one of the busiest Friday nights of the year, so maybe all ferries will be full. I think you would be better off buying tickets for a later ferry that you are sure to catch.

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

which way of transportation around Mykanos is better?

can you walk to most places?

can you trust that taxis will not rip you off if you are a tourist?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

Most of Mykonos Town is a pedestrian zone, so you can easily get to shops, restaurants, bars and other attractions by walking. You can take local buses to many of the major beaches; service runs regularly during the day.

Taxis are metered so you shouldn't get ripped off.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which way of transportation is better?

Last question before I make my decision between the flight and/or ferry. How long does it take to pick up the tickets at the port? At this point I'll probably be buying them right from the SEAJET website and they have a kiosk at Rafina port. Is it a lengthy process? Because I am confident I can get my luggage, hop in a taxi and get to the port in the hour and a half that I have. I am just worried about picking up the tickets.

Get answers to your questions about Mykonos