We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos vs santorini

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos vs santorini

Hi ,

Me and my fiance are planning to visit Greece in Novemebr for our honeymoon . Even though its not the most appropriate time of the year to visit Greece - but since its our dream destination we want to do it none the less . Can somebody advise us - which city to goto apart from athens . We planning a very short trip of maybe 5 days , 4 nights - and would love to enjoy the picturesque landscape of greece and sight seeing places of ancient greece . Could someone please guide which city - in terms of convenience would provide us more of this - Mykonos or santornini !

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

I wouldn't spend time and money to go to either Mykonos or Santorini in november. I wouldn't spoil my dreams by visiting my dream destination in the wrong season and maybe never again. You may be lucky and have a nice day, or it may be raining. Hotels will be deserted, only a few tavernas open, shops closed and sight-seeings in hiberniation. Is this what your dream is about ?

If you want to see places of ancient Greece you should rather stay at the mainland. You may go to Delphi or to the sites on Peloponnese. I guess the best way is to rent a car and drive by yourself.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

Are 5 days including your days of arrival and departure ? If so you will hardly have enough time to visit the islands. In November both ferries and flights have downscaled schedules according to being out of season, and any transfer will take the best part of one day away from you.

I second Periscope's advice - besides Athens do the sites close nearby.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

:( ... Its really sad for me and my fiance to read ya posts . So basically Greece in november is a complete - no no ? Yes , 5 days is including travels n departure - hence a short n sweet trip to carry memories of the beautiful city back home .

Is the weather that bad - that it would be raining throught the days of our stay . Desrted hotels , closed tavernas and shops , no sight seeing etc .We were planning end novemeber as dates of our travel - as thats when we get married and most of europe is frozen in cold . New zea land and sydney are out of our budget unfortunately as we really young - so , the idea of greece came from seeing the hotel n flight fares during this time of the year . We would ideally like to do - a rome , athens trip but since the climate of rome is much colder than athens we changed our plans . Our plans are at the mercy of your valuable experience and opinions ..... :) thanks .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

Why don't you spend your 5 days in Athens? You will have enough time to see the sights and get a feeling for the city's atmosphere. Athens is full of life, you will have so many options of what to do and where to eat, etc. You can even plan a daily excursion to Delphi or Nafplio.

Hopefully another time you will have the possibility to come to Greece in the summer and visit the islands, but Athens will be just fine for your 5-day trip.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

So no mykonos or santorini ? Are they pretty far from athens and subject to bad climate ? The reason why i ask is - would have been nice if the wifey saw 2 cities instead of one - enjoyed luxury of 2 hotels instead of 1 .

Just am skeptical - that it didnt become too hectic , wherein time spent only in travelling .

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

Greece has a very good weather all around, except perhaps February - March, nevertheless it is not a country of eternal summer. We do have a fall, a spring and a winter too, even if this is a mild one.

Greece is also a quite big country with big differences from North to South and from mainland to islands. In extremes we can have snow at the Northern areas of the country and a balmy warm weather at the South, while islands always tend to be cooler and more humid, since it's se all around.

November weather can be anything. You can get a glorious sunny day needing a warm jacket at night but you can also get humid, damp rainy weather. Since no one cannot guarantee this, most people that want to see the islands as advertised go May to September.

If you asked me, i 'd go to Santorini anytime, even in the middle of winter. BUT it's not what you picture. Outdoors dining for example is not an option and this is a basic ingredient of a "typical" Santorini or Mykonos visit. I 'd not bother but i can do it all year around anywhere in Greece when it's a sunny day. But for you coming from a distance and for a honeymoon, "maybe" is not really an option.

If you heart is set to Greece, then visit, being prepared though that it will definitely not be beach time. You may get the most glorious weather or a rainy day and cold; and unfortunately no one can quarantee you any of the two.

Athens is pretty much an all yr round destination because of the ancient sites and the museums. It's a commercial center and attracts visitors all yr round, except perhaps February / early March when it's quite cold.

If you heart is set for one of Santorini or Mykonos, i 'd visit them but be prepared for a winter visit and not a summer one. Outdoors dining will not be available, while sun will be up for less time, compared to the very ling summer days. Swimming in a pool will not be an option, not in sea of course, except if you are winte swimmers. I 'd probably tend to visit Santorini for a night over, flying early morning from Athens and flying back late next day to Athens again. But it will NOT be like what you picture. For me it's attractive, but i have to admit that it reminds more of Scotland rathern than Greece in winter. Keep in mind that accomodation with a view at Santorini is high up at the cliffs, so you get the views. On a quick visit i 'd visit Akrotiri site, Oia and Fira, having equipment for cool weather.

Or you can always fly to Rhodes or Crete ( i 'd pick Chania ) which are a bit to the South and give you more sunshine / warm weather. Or the Southern mainland, the Peloponnesus.

Keep in mind though that a very short trip can indeed be only-Athens. I 'd tend to add one night in there, it's really a very tight timed trip, or if you want November + warm weather you 'll have to go to the Canaries, or Cyprus, or Southern Hemisphere, perhaps around the Indian Ocean, like Qatar, UAE or the Maldives.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,606 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

>>So basically Greece in november is a complete - no no ?<<

Of course not! Greece is a wonderful destination any time of the year, but the previous posters are trying to guide you toward what is best for November. Coming from India, you may very well appreciate a spell of cool weather, but it will be warmer in Athens. The islands are primarily a summer destination, while Athens is great year-round.

If you still want to go to the islands, don't expect sunbathing weather, or for all the shops and cafes to be open. Instead of sitting at a sidewalk cafe, you may have to go indoors. Since you are young and on honeymoon you may prefer somewhere with nightlife, and you will find that in Athens. All the clubs will be closed on the islands, but you can still go out for dinner and sit in a quiet bar.

EDIT: we cross-posted, and Nick said it much better than me!

Edited: 19 September 2012, 11:31
Mumbai
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

Woww ! Thank you so much for for taking out time to write this detailed info formour trip . Heimdall - we both as a couple would always prefer beautiful mountains and sight seeing as compared to sun bathing and beach resorts , hence the choice for greece .

Nick - we can add another day but would you advise a day trip to santorini , delphi or some other place . Another city which just adds to our memories of greece would be nice. Im sure even the best 5 star hotels are quite cheap at this time of the year due to off season and also the economy not doing so well , which also gets me to the point of safety and mobbing reports . Do the local tour and sighht seeing agents , cabbies etc - charge wrong fares , premiums seeing tourists or the sanity check is still in check even after recent economy criris . We are planning to book everything individually instead of taking a package tour which will surely help us save a little . What do you recomend .?

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

I think you have got plenty of good and well-meant advice by now. Greece is not out of the question in november, but I would still not spend any time on the islands. I am even not sure that you would experience the luxury you expect. The best hotels will not lower their prices, they will either close or run with very limited services, during winther.

In Athens you will still have all opportunities open. The museums, Acropolis and all the other sites are open, and weather may allowe an outdoor cup of coffe. Hotels will have good offers.

I haven't been into Athens since may, but I have visited a lot of islands and am surprised how little the economic crisis have affected the daily life in Greece. Reading news you could believe it was a war-zone with starving people all around, it is not. I do absolutely feel safe in Greece, and I love the Greek people.

If you want something in addition to Athens, I recommend Delphi. You may go there by public bus and spend a night in a nice hotel overlooking the valley. It is up in the montains with some marvelous views. It is a very interesting archeological site and museum. (You may even try to ask the oracle of Delphi to tell your wifes fortune.) In my opinion it is much less weather dependent than an island. And if your wish is "another city", Delphi is more "city" than Mykonos or Santorini.

10. Re: Mykonos vs santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos