We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Which Mykonos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Our lst day in the islands today, and must get busy doing this. I know when I get home, there won't be any time to write trip reports!

We left Paros on time, and our "agent" met us at the port with the ferry tickets. We were on a Flying Cat this time. It was wonderful, and so fast to get to Mykonos. Upon arrival, we found our name displayed on a sign right away. We were the only ones, so we didn't waste any time getting to our hotel. We stayed in Ornos, at the Deliades hotel. It was up on the hill a bit, but not too high. Our room was though! 77 steps, yup, seventy seven steps up to our room. It was a superior, assuming that because of the view. It was beautiful. We could see the south side beach, and the north side. North side had white caps all the time, and usually a couple of kite surfers as well.

It was windy though. There were days when we couldn`t sit out on our balcony. The beer literally sloshed out of my glass! And as soon as you stood up from the wicker furniture, it slid across to the other side of the balcony because of the wind. Forget reading a book!

We stayed close to home that first afternnon, enjoying the pool and just walking through Ornos. It`s a small place, some supermarkets, and lots of choices for dinner at the tavernas along the beach. We had our dinner at the Porto Ornos. It was not on any list from TA that I had seen, but I must say, the dinner was great, and even better, the service. We had the best waitress on our trip so far. And we made sure the management knew it before we left too.

The next morning, after a very filling breakfast, we headed to Mykonos town. The bus was easy to catch, and you can actually pay the driver for the tickets on Mykonos. We had lots of fun walking up and down the many alleys and getting lost, going in circles. We found where to catch the ferry to Delos for the next day, checked out the many stores, grabbed some tea towels, and then went on the hunt for Fato a Mano for lunch. And it was a hunt! We finally found the proper street, but we still had to ask three different shop keepers before we found it. Half an hour later, that first Mythos went down real nice ;o) Oh, and the food was great too, as was the service. They were very quick to help me get out of the seat as it was a heavy bench, and also, I was hitting the light fixture every time I stood up! Okay, for the record, I am just under six feet tall.

When we got back to Ornos, we hit up the supermarket for cheese and meats, and found a wonderful bakery right next door. With a loaf and bread and muffins, we were set for a picnic lunch at Delos the next day. One the way back to the hotel, we picked up some gyros to take back to the Deliades. WHY I waited so long to try out one of these is a mystery! They were soooo good! Paired with a chilled Mythos was just wonderful, and we didn`t need anything else that evening.

The nexy day we were off to Delos. We met some fellow Caqnadians from Vancouver the day before, and they were heading to Delos as well. We shared the cost of a taxi, as the bus schedule was not in our favour. We took our time with breakfast, deciding thqt the nine o`clock boat to Delos may or may not run. Signs for the boat times kept changing, as did the price for the boats. So we managed a ten o`clock boat, and it wasn`t too bad at all. Okay, I`m lying, it was bad... I had to watch the horizon the whole way out there, and was glad to be sitting by the window. It was only 40 minutes or so to get out there. Once on land, we found that we didn`t have to pay to get in. The shop was closed for inventory!

Because of us getting there so late, and the last boat returning at one thirty in the afternoon, we headed straight up the mountain with our picnic lunch. It was justy beautiful up there, but incredibly windy. We managed to eat just one of our sandwiches, drink some water, and then walked back down to take in the rest of the site. We were hard pressed for time now, but we did manage to see quite a bit, and were happy with what we saw.

When we returned to Mykonos town, we found our way back to the bus station, and managed to get the very next bus to Ornos, leaving in just three minutes! Perfect timing, as I was ready for another dip in the pool.

We had dinner at Kostantis taverna, not impressed with the service at all, but the food was good enough.

When we got back to the hotel we found out that we were NOT leaving Mykonos in the afternoon the next day, but first thing in the morning. So we spent the evening packing again, and got the transfer to the port in the morning. There were other travellers that were in the same situation as us. We never did find out why the change, but we were glad to be spending more time in Santorini, rather than hanging around Ornos all afternoon waiting for a transfer.

The winds were still howling, and the ferry ride was wicked! We were on a superjet ferry, not the Flying Cat, and we ended up with seats in the middle. The people by the windows had the blinds closed, because of the sun I guess. There was no looking at the horizon for me, and the people beside us gave me some ginger. Much appreciated, but then the little fellow, just across the aisle from me, not even two years old, threw up all over his mom. it was all I could do to stay focused and just look straight ahead. I kept thinking that if I felt this bad, imagine how that little guy feels! Anyway, we all made it to Santorini, and our name was quite prominent when we got off the ferry, and we on our last island of this trip...

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Nice trip report. I really enjoyed the local feel to Ornos and, yes, that bakery is very good.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,409 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Another great report Joan :-)

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

I have only seen Mykonos on a day trip. This makes me think I need a "real" visit. Thanks for the report.

Karen

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
785 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Joan, I''d be in big trouble in Greece... I'd be throwing up on every boat! I get seasick way too easy!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

Love Mykonos, great report, sounds like you had fun, except for the Sea Jet :)

6. Re: Mykonos Trip Report - Sept 27-30th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:18